Just popped my first homebrew in 6 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLompoc

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA that I picked up from Doc's Cellars here in San Luis Obispo. They had most of the ingredients ready to go, and I added a few twists like some good clover honey, about 1.25lbs and then dry hopped with centennial in a secondary. Main hops were Falconer's Flight and Magnum.
After not brewing in quite a while I was a little more than skeptical if I could pull it off solo. I always brewed with my brother, and he was the mad scientist of the duo, I was the chef. Miss those days.
Anyway I just opened my first 24 ounce as a tester, albeit only bottled for 11 days, and other than the mild hint of butterscoth this is one great IPA. My wife is absolutely loving it. Nice head and a sweet, hoppy bitter finish.

I tried to edit the post topic but it wont change on the forums. Oh well, the beer was so good it made me typo all over the place!:mug: Glad I got popped right cause I could only imagine the replies if I spelled pooped!

(Yes, I am going to be that guy...)

Hey, Lompoc! I was born and raised in Orcutt, but in high school had some close friends in Lompoc, so I was there a bunch.

(OK, I'm done.)

McLompoc, I know that feeling. After 13 years of brewing, I stopped brewing for seven years. I came back to it about a year ago, and happily found that it was just like riding a bicycle.

@dougdecices
How long ago where you here? Remember Jacks in Orcutt. It burnt down and the rebuilt it better than ever. You should see the revitalization in old town. It is awesome!

@ JohnTheBrewist

I just went from training wheels with the IPA to a full blown custom Chocolate Coffee Stout recipie my brother and I did about 7 years ago. It was one of the best beers we ever did. Funny how fast it all came back. Next is another original recipie I am working on for a brown ale.

Ummmmm, you mean this guy?

tiki-view_blog_post_image.php

Wow? How long is this going to go on??:drunk: I tried to edit the thread topic but it would not change. HELP!:D

:)

Congratz on getting back into it. Sounds like a tasty beer.

I bet it would taste great with some cheese dip. (+1 for another Groo reference)

@dougdecices
How long ago where you here? Remember Jacks in Orcutt. It burnt down and the rebuilt it better than ever. You should see the revitalization in old town. It is awesome!

I lived in Orcutt until I went to College. Six years later and I'm living in Indianapolis and I'm still not quite sure how. My fiance and were visiting my parents in July, so of course we took her to Jack's. Though unfortunately I didn't get to see much of the fancy, new old town Orcutt. Back when I came home to visit in college, the closest thing we had to entertainment was Elmer's. This is no knock on Elmer's, but I'm glad there is more going on now.

When I used to visit my Lompoc friends, we more or less lived at South Side Coffee. I checked in on it just now, and I am glad to see it's still going strong.

Lastly, have to had a chance to check out Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co.? I left there pretty impressed. I'm a simcoe-fiend, and found their IPA to die for.

@@dougdecices

Oh yeah! I met Jason Courtney, the first head brewer for Figueroa Mountain before they opened. My Mom lives in Buellton so I was always kept up to date on their opening.
Is the IPA you are referencing the Hoppy Poppy? I havent been in a few months due to work, but did find a new one at liqour emporium in Lompoc. It's called Hurricane Deck. It's a double IPA. My wife loves IPA's but at 8% this was a little to overwhelming for her. Their Davey Brown is also very good too.

"Cheers for More Beers" as Jason would say. He and his wife Sarah were so warm and welcoming. They are misssed at Figueroa Mountain.

UPDATE. I thought the butterscotch was a bit unpleasent after trying a second and realized I had popped a bottle way to young. I have just opened another after almost 2 weeks, and WOW, no butterscotch and the hops are finishing the palate off nicely.
Moral of the home grew story, or brew as it should be...... Time will heal all wounds!

Latest posts

Back