perfect foam, rigged tank outside and added a keg gas line, too much foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattCharleston

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, I tried reading many posts from a search I did before this post....

My kegerator was a 1 corny keg rig with the tank inside...perfect. Nice creamy head on each beer that was great...maybe 1 inch or so. I rigged a splitter for the gas line so I can have one more keg dispensing/carbing, and moved the bottle to the outside. Now....too much foam. Can this be a result of warmer gas pushing colder beer? I didn't think it would be necessary to change the amount of dispensing line. The gas line got a few feet longer, but I haven't had/read about any experiances that would say gas line length would change foam levels.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Matt

IMO, it's not a problem with the tank location, length of the gas line or the temperature of the CO2. More than likely, the beer has slowly become over-carbed due to the serving pressure being too high. Does the problem happen with both kegs, or just one of them? Over-carbing can also happen very quickly when there is less beer in the keg, as when it is nearly empty.

The gas line and length has no significance on the foaming. The temp co2 is stored at can affect it's pressure, though. Are you sure you have the same pressure on the keg? could the gauge be stuck? How long were you using the setup at said pressure? Did anything else happen to your beverage line? For instance if your line is neatly coiled at the top of a keg, as opposed to laying haphazardly, you will have changed the uphill run, which increases resistance.
edit: and what Catt22 said.

The temp co2 is stored at can affect it's pressure, though. Are you sure you have the same pressure on the keg?

The ambient temperature should only affect the internal tank pressure, not the pressure applied to the keg as this is maintained by the regulator regardless of the tank internal vapor pressure. That is, of course, providing that the regulator is function properly.

Thanks guys....the keg is in fact very close to empty. That may be exactly what is happening. The other keg is still carbing on the "set it and forget it" method. As soon as the serving keg is done, i'll test out the other keg.

Back