Pilsner with Cascade/Centennial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a thought/question...

I enjoy lagers. I enjoy ales. I really enjoy hoppy ales.

Of course, most of my buddies are BMC drinkers and alot of the brews so far have been met little critical acclaim. I was thinking about a compromise and experiment.

I was wondering if anyone has made a pilsner, forgone the saaz and put it cascade, simcoe, centennial, amirillo, etc. (you get the drift) and even dry-hopped?

To be honest, I just got my ferm chamber set up and have not made a lager yet, but am thinking of something along these lines.

I think it would be good. Kinda like a modern Classic American Pilsner, if that makes any sense (modern as far as hops go).

I'm a Cascade lover. But I don't think Cascade does well in lagers. Before you brew it you may want to try it as a finished product. I know that Bell's makes one, but right now I can't remember if it's called Bell's Lager or Bell's Third Coast or something else.
Now Bell's usually makes just FANTASTIC beers. This one is IMO just so-so, although, from a historical point of view, it's a "must try".

I made an imperial pilsner a few times with saaz hallertau and centennial. 8% abv, 110 ibus and finished it dry with some corn sugar. Dry hopped with all three too. It was awesome. I don't know about an American hop centered lager since I used only 1/3 american. Give it a shot, you're a homebrewer.

Haha, yeah. Saaz and hallertau together plus an American hop. I'm surprised the beer gods didn't strike me down during the boil.

For those of you interested, I talked to owner of the best beer store in Atlanta HopCity Craft Beer & Wine , Kraig, and he pointed me towards Coney Island (Shmaltz Brewing). The only time I had any was so long ago I don't think I realized what I was drinking at the time.

Although, I'm not crazy about what looks like a "kitchen-sink" approach to the brews, I think I'll try a few to get an idea.

Check them out: http://www.shmaltz.com/CONEY/cil.html

Not to mention, the Mermaid Pilsner label makes me happy.

I think American hops would be fine in a true Pilsner. With Pilsners, it is all about the bittering hop, with some flavor and a small amount of aroma hops (if any). I think if hopped this way, the "American" flavors won't be too strong. Now, as soon as you start adding a bunch of late addition hops and dry hopping, it's not a true Pilsner any more. Its some kind of new fangled Lager - which could be quite good, just not a pilsner.

It doesn't matter if it's a lager or an ale. The pilsner part is what keeps the style. YOu would be creating a new style, like pjj2ba said. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. The problem is that pilsners are lighter beers, so you will have to pay attention to the amounts or you will over do it (It sounds like you kind of WANT to overdo it, but I mean, even more than that).

I'm not a big fan of pilsners, but I do like some hops, especially the American varieties. I'd be curious to see how it comes out, but I don't see the point in trying to make a pilsner for your buddies, and adding lots of Am. hops. I think that's not going to fly with them, and probably still be too light for your own tastes. Sounds like a fine line you are dancing on.

I've smashed and put fresh cascades into my pilsner as I consumed it in my back yard/ garden. Adds a very nice nose. In any case, it will surely be drinkable if you brew it. Worst case is that you never make it again.

Just yesterday I did a Pilsner/Cascade SMaSH.

7.75 lbs. German Pilsner
1.00 oz. 7.2% Cascade First Wort Hop 60 min boil
1 packet SafAle US-05 yeast

It was really pale, but smelled and tasted good.

I'm trying to get my dad away from just drinking Miller Lite, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks!

I don't see the problem here. As I understand it, Miller Lite is brewed with Cascade Hops (or an extract very similar to Cascade), and they claim to be a "True Pilsner," and I don't know about you guys, but I fully trust the marketing department at Miller to provide me with an honest description of their quality product.

The trick, as I understand it, is that lager yeasts provide such a cleaner/smoother flavor than ale yeasts (that put off crazy flavor) that the hops and any brewing mistakes are really exposed - not necessarily a bad thing on the hops.

Update - I tried the Shmaltz Sword Swallower and it was ok. Like I said, with all those hops (8 in total), it's kind of hard to pick out anything.

Back