2nd batch, much smarter, but dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug

Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been asked.

My first batch only did primary fermentation, but there was a lot of sediment. I realize now that a secondary is very important. However, reading on this forum and elsewhere online, I finally figured out what that extra bag of hops in my kit was for - dry hopping. This realization came about 10 minutes after I racked to the secondary, so I figured I'd take the risk and throw in about .75 ounces of cascade hops pellets into my IPA.

They didn't bubble, at least right away, but I could tell they were dissolving fast. I left them alone for an hour or so, and when I came back it looked like they had possibly acted up a bit, but now there is just a uniform cover of hops over the top of my wort. Are they going to sink after 10-14 days? Was I supposed to add them at the bottom of the carboy before filling it? I was hoping to get a more pure, sediment-free beer by using the secondary... I didn't just kill that dream, did I?

On a positive note, it tasted great before I added the hops. I'm really getting excited about how fun this home brewing business can be.

Thanks in advance for the help. More than likely I'll be back with more questions in the future.

- Doug

Don't worry!
Everyone runs into this problem eventually when using pellet hops. Thier is just no other way to keep all of that sediment out of your beer unless you strain that stuff out. Find some ingenious way to get that sludge out before you rack your beer to a bottling bucket or a keg. Some people buy "hop bags" which is a fine mesh bag that works semi-well in collecting the sludge.

Some of the hops will sink, some will stay on top.

An alternative for the future is to use whole hops, but they can be a PITA too.

Doug, don't sweat it. It'll be great. Nothing like your first homebrew....mmmmm...Good choice for your 1st one too!

I have dry hopped like that, and racked beer on top of the hops too. They always float to the top at first. Ever had a Lagunitas IPA? Look at all the hop debris floating in one of those! When you rack from your secondary to your bottling bucket, just be careful not to stir up too much sediment, and leave a little beer in the secondary. Don't try to get every last little drop. If you can, cold condition it for a couple weeks to a month and it will help some off that junk fall out.

cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

That's reassuring. So this cold conditioning you speak of... I assume since it's conditioning, this is when it is bottled? And what's the recommended temp for doing this at?

Thanks much for your help - reading this forum has been invaluable.

- doug

some people just put the secondary into a spare fridge or chest freezer for 2-3 weeks, some will let their bottles condition in the fridge for 2-3 weeks (after they have had ample time to carbonate at room temp).

their is another thread somewhere on the forum going about the same topic with some more info and tips.....

welcome aboard!
DeRoux's Broux

An update on this batch - It's been 11 days in the secondary, so I went ahead and bottled. It tastes even better than before, but I'm never going to dry hop in the secondary again without a bag or something. Such a pain with all those hops floating around!

I'm sure I'll get used to the chewy beer if the taste stays as good though.

Anyway, just an update.

- doug

Doug,

Another way to "filter out" the dry hops is use one of those stainless steel scrubbing pads (not SOS or one with any detergents/soaps in it), and ram the end of your racking cane to it. It'll keep all the floaties out while you rack. Just may be a pain getting it out when your done.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

In regards to the scrubbing pad idea, would it be the same to use the stainless steel wire flex hose covering (from water supply hose for a toilet, new of course) they talk about when draining mash in whole grain brewing? If so I kind of like that idea. MPW

sure can. Bazooka Screens can be used for filtering hops or in the mash/lauter tank. (i use the stainlees water feedline in my mash/lauter tank too).

the stainlees screen would be easier to get in/out of the carboy too (good observation btw!).
cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Back