First Batch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimedog

Reaction score
This is my first all grain batch, I started it 1 week ago today. Should I transfer to secondary fermenter or wait another day or two? Oh by the way it is a Belgian Honey recipe.

You should wait until your hydrometer says the beer has reached FG. This could be three days(possible, if a bit unlikely), or it could be three weeks(very unlikely). Usually a week is a good time, but trust in your hydrometer, not your calendar.

My system is this:

Primary- 5-7 days
Secondary- 7-10 days
Bottle Conditioning- 2-3 weeks

There are some factors with beer type being the biggest (like I said, I am learning with each brew I do, up to about 45-50 gallons so far at this writing).

I did a porter (my first) last weekend and just transfered to my secondary this morning (need my primary for this afternoon's brew). I will leave in the secondary at least a week before bottling.

Then it will be 3-4 weeks in the bottle before enjoying.

The llama is right. Yeast can't read calendars. Take an hydrometer reading and if it's were it is suppose to be, rack. If not, wait a few more days. I leave mine for 4 - 6 to allow the yeast to actually finish its job of fermenting, cleaning up off flavors, and clearing my beer.

Welcome to HBT!

Back