Flavor Compounds in Millet Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brwmistr

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have just experienced the slight taste of Banana in my millet beer as I added my coopers ale yeast to my batch at 32C which the yeast's comfort level is 18-27C just to see what would the beer taste like. The banana taste is a compound that is made up of 1-Isobutyl Acetate and 2-Isoamyl Acetate. I don't know at what level our tongues can detect but I found this web site to show me what this compound is. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/idlh/123922.html

I was shocked to find that this compound is a toxin,
" Revised IDLH: 1,000 ppm

Basis for revised IDLH: The revised IDLH for isoamyl acetate is 1,000 ppm based on acute toxicity data in humans [Amor 1950] and animals [Munch 1972]. This value is also equal to 10% of the lower explosive limit of 1% (which was determined at 212°F)."

Any thought on this?

Now the information was based at 1000ppm which is high and no doubt we can sense a very small amount so most likely this taste is no were near the danger level but informative none the less.

Much research has no doubt been done by those behind us to test levels as safe for human consumption.

Latest posts

Back