Cooking with Apfelwein...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I did a search here hoping to find a brave soul who would have tried Apfelwien as a cooking ingredient... no luck!

Anybody try to cook with it, as a flavoring, I guess..?

EDIT: I did find some in Cooking and Pairings.. I guess my search wasn't that good... hmm.

Boil sausages in it the same way you might boil them in beer... Boil anywhere from five to thirty minutes, then fry or BBQ untill starting to char... Hmmm....

I use it for deglazing the pan after sautéing chicken to make a pan sauce, In other white sauces and in risotto. MMMmmmm mushroom rissotto.

I gave a bottle of mine to a friend who wanted to cook with it. I know he was going to cook pork with it, but I don't think it was pork chops. I think he was going to do a roast in a crock pot with cider in it with some veggies I'm sure.

I wonder what chicken would be like, I've heard of guys cooking it in dandelion wine. I've also heard of using dandelion wine to cook rabbit.

I have marinated fish in apfelwein and it's mighty tasty. 30~45 minutes in the sauce then drain the liquid and hit with fresh dill and lime...toss on the grill and you have some moist and flavorful fish.

A bag of yellow rice calls for 4 cups of water. Try using 2 1/2 cups of water and a 12 oz bottle of cider (or apfelwein).

Try mixing it into pancake batter in place of water or milk.

I added a bottle to a pot of chilli.

It goes good in place of water when making cous cous.

Back