is it ready to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamk222

Reaction score
ok this is my first mead and the fermintation slowed to a crawl so i moved it to a secondary fermenter.now it has cleared and its ben in there for a mounth but the air lock still bubbles from time to time.i figured when i bottle it i wont use primeing sugar to make sure i dont end up with hand granades what do you guys think?

I'd just let it sit, personally. It'll benefit from batch aging. Then you can let it ferment out totally and if you want to prime in the bottle, you'e free to do so.

If you're in a rush to bottle, then you probably can, but if you don't need the fermenter, I'd just leave it there for a month or so. Mead takes forever no matter where you put it.

Cheers :D

well its been in the secondary for around 2 mounths and when i say (bubbles evrey now and then)i mean like once evrey 4 houres how much longer do you think till i should bottle?thanks for the advice:drunk:

Well, like I said, unless you need the fermenter, just leave it there. It certainly doesn't hurt it to not bottle it. Batch aging is good for mead. And there's less exposure to oxygen if you keep it in the fermenter.

Another month or 3 or 6...it won't be any good until at least a year so why rush to get it into bottles that you don't want to open anyway? I've had meads in secondaries for 6 months or more. No harm in it. Unless you need the fermenter.

In other words, wait as long as you can stand it. ;)

lol thanks ill leav it as long as i can but i have to say it tast wonderful already:drunk:

put the carboy in a fridge or freezer (if it will fit) for a few hours to put the yeast to sleep. Add sorbate. Depending on the yeast strain, you may wish to simply let it go and age it on the lees (sur lie) stirring once a month for 3-6 months. If you want to bottle it right away or are not sure if you're yeast can be aged sur lie, fine it (or simply let it all flocculate out in the fridge and then rack off the lees), rack it, bottle it.

its champagne yeast and i don't see a 6 gallon carboy fitting in the fridge without my wife kicking my a**

adam I know what you mean i tried mine after a month while racking to secondary, and the stuff tastes so good! but i could see myself getting hammered off one sip of this stuff whew. but i plan on leaving this stuff in the secondary for as long as it takes, its a 1 gallon batch if it turns out I make 5 gallon next time.

lol i hear ya! my wife hates it when i brew i bet after she drinks some of this she will chang her mind.(i hope):D

Back