I pitched my yeast at 122 degrees...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strantor

Reaction score
...And everything seems fine. Actually better than fine; I had super active fermentation within an hour. It was a brain fart, not done intentionally. But I've pitched the yeast too hot before also and nothing bad happened. This was ec-1118 in a cider. At the LHBS demos I've been to, it's been oft repeated that if you pitch yeast above 80 deg, it will die. That's not what I've seen. But they were making beer, with a different type of yeast. Do different types of yeast die at different temps?

yes, they do. yeast is a fungus, and some types can live in hotter situations. not saying it'll give a good-tasting product, but it can live

yes, they do. yeast is a fungus, and some types can live in hotter situations. not saying it'll give a good-tasting product, but it can live

So are you saying that pitching my yeast at that temp can cause my cider to taste bad? Does it make any difference that it will be a cooler temp for the rest of the fermentation?

Did you cool it down quickly thereafter?

If not, you may have solventy, estery beer. If you pitch high and cool it quickly (hours) it should be fine.

Did you cool it down quickly thereafter?

Not really. It was in a better bottle. Once I realized what I did, I added as much cold water as would fit, but that had to be less than 1/3 gal. But I think after sitting for as little as an hour in a better bottle would cool it down to room temp. No way to confirm that as I did not go back and check temp later.

Latest posts

Back