Growing hops in Mississippi.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked the last of the cascades this past weekend and hope to get 4oz dried.

I will tap my all homegrown cascade red ale next weekend and see how it turned out.

Planted Centennial and CTZs for a first-year crop, they grew to about 10-12 ft, very few cones, though.
Should I let them die out over the winter and cut them back in early spring, or cut back after first frost?

Hey Alpotun, Let them go till they are completely done and died back, then cut the bines an inch or two above the ground and burn or compost the dead bines.
A light frost will not necessarily kill it, but several light frosts or one heavy one will. ("Kill it" in this context means the bines above ground as the roots are alive and storing up for next year.)
--Mark F.--

I was told by several people that growing hops in Mississippi was a lost cause and that even if by some miracle they did grown and survive I wouldn't get any production. Please see the following blog where I prove "them" wrong. Go for it. Grow hops!

http://brewingoutofbounds.blogspot.com

Mark, awesome thread! I'm moving to Kessler AFB in Biloxi this summer and want to try my hand at hop growing, any pointers? Looking forward to your hop grow this year!

Hey Krutzed, cascade is by far the best hop to grow in the southeast. Needs as much sun as you give it and enough moisture to keep it cool in that sun. Well draining, rich, loamy soil, (a good mix of clay, compost and sand) with good watering and a little fertilizing like Miracle Grow, and they should be happy.

--Mark F.--

Amazing...17 pages of comments about growing hops in the Sip.

That being said, I'm thinking of relocating mine (central MS) to a new location in the yard and build some sort of Trellis. Right now they're on the side of a building growing up to the roof edge.

I have not weeded mine yet, but checked this afternoon. There are numerous sprouts on the cascade. I did not check the centennial but the centennial will be replaced with cascade transplants

I am showing a few sprouts, very small so far and not from all the plants yet, but looks like I will have some again this year. :)

I have at least 4 out of the 6 plants showing signs of life. That means I will have Cascade, Nugget, and Goldings this year!

The cold spell we recently had seems to have moved em back a bit, but they are coming on now.
1st picture is of a Nugget.
2nd picture is a Cascade.
3rd picture is of Cascade in front of store.
--Mark F.--

P3190015.jpg

P3190016.jpg

P3190020.jpg

My hops have taken off! The five gallon bucket is for reference for the height of them. The center picture is of the sprouts between "hills." I plan on transplanting them.

hopp1.jpg

hopp2.jpg

hopp3.jpg

Tried loading yesterday , but couldn't so trying again today.
First is Nugget.
Second is Cascade.
Third is same Cascade after pinching off and cutting some rhizomes.
Good to see tdbc2011 and Alpotun going good.

P4020026.jpg

P4020027.jpg

P4020028.jpg

One cascade is between 8 and 9 feet tall, the other one is about 5 feet. Four transplanted cascade plants are doing well and two of them are already running up the trellis. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

I also moved the two centennial plants (divided into three plants). They are all looking pretty good, even though I do not think they will produce very well.

This weeks view of hops at home.
#1 - Nugget plants.
#2 - Cascade plants.
All have been thinned down by pinching off, and some rhizomes cut out for new plants.

P4090029.jpg

P4090028.jpg

I transplanted the Centennial making 3 plants. There are two in pots from last year.
The Centennial produced very little last year. Will see how they do this summer.

apr cen 2.jpg

apr cen 1.jpg

These are five cascade rhizomes that I have transplanted. Several have already started running up the trellis strings. I need to weed again and mulch. At least 10 bines have been pruned from each plant.

I'm posing this question here in the local forum because you know how crazy things get in the larger ones.
I live in town, in a neighborhood, and something is coming around during the day while I'm at work digging in my hop beds, just started in the last couple of weeks. I suspect a new neighbor's Dacshund, but can't prove it, and you know how that goes nowadays. We have no fenced back yard, and do not plan to spend that kind of money to cure this problem.
I don't want to kill the dog, just want to teach it not to come back.
I've tried sprinkling Cayenne powder for several days to no avail.
Have read vinegar or ammonia, but not sure what that'd do to the plants.
Oh, and I'm pretty convinced it's a dog by what was left behind one day.
Any of you have a suggestion?

Yeah, I guess, but having to get inside there to cut the grass and all...
May have to resort to it, though.
Thanks

Picture of hops at home this week, taken this morning.
Hey Alpotun, Did you get your digging problem sorted out. If you borrowed a small electric fence zapper, you could break a bad habit fast without doing a critter any real harm, just a thought.
--Mark F.--

P4150029.jpg

Sort of took pointcity's suggestion. Bought cone-shaped tomato cages and wrapped them in chicken wire over the plants. Seems to be thwarting the digging.
The electro-fence deal is a good idea, too, thanks.

Here is a look at mine today. Weather has been very cloudy, I think they could use a few days of sun.

20150415_154324.jpg

I was mowing the yard today, and much to my surprise I had vines growing up about four feet. I mowed a week ago and did not see any activity.

Pictures this week of hops at home.
Second is burrs that have just transitioned into small cones.(a good bit behind tdbc2011's hops.)
Third is Sterling leafing out from rhizome. Both Sterlings and Magnums have broke ground.

P5060029.jpg

P5060030.jpg

P5060031.jpg

Pictures this week of hops at home.
Second is burrs that have just transitioned into small cones.(a good bit behind tdbc2011's hops.)
Third is Sterling leafing out from rhizome. Both Sterlings and Magnums have broke ground.

Cascades still look good. The Centennial that were transplanted look good, but my trellis is not going to be high enough to produce many cones.

Mark, Have you made an all Nugget APA?

Back