Power Supply Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
I have very little experience in electronics. I have built a stirplate before following the DIY guide in this forum, but I don't want to get in over my head with this one. I know there are some knowledgeable people around here in the realm of electronics, so I figured I'd ask.

I want to build another stirplate out of an old external HD case that I had laying around. I took out the HD and am left with a few items that I would like to consider using instead of only the case.

First, the power supply. It has a converter box on it and has 2 DC outputs listed; 5V 2.0A 10W & 12V 2.2A 26.4W. I don't understand why there are two and don't know which to base it off of. The fan I want to use is 12V .35A. Is this unsafe or bad to "over amp" the fan? The HD it was powering was 5V .75A & 12V .90A so it makes me think its not terrible.

Secondly, there is an on/off button with LED and port for the power supply to plug into the EHD. Can I leave these items intact to power my stirplate? I have the 4 prong connection from the HD that I could use to power the fan.

Here's a picture:
stirplate.jpg

Any information would be helpful. I have more detailed pics if needed.

You won't be over amping the fan. It can only draw so much power and the power supply can't cram more down it's throat so don't worry about that part. Go ahead and use all the pieces that you have they should work just fine. I would connect the fan to the 5 volt power leads (slower fan speed) and install a potentiometer between the hot wire and the fan for speed control.

Back