Yeast harvesting - a NON-slant method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been thinking I might be better-off harvesting yeast from my fermenter during active fermentation. This would be easy to achieve after ~day four of the fermentation process by simply pressurizing the Sanke "air tube" with CO2 and running some of the wort/cake up the racking cane through a sanitized hose into a flask. I am thinking at this time the yeast/cake would be full of very viable yeast, and the process should not endanger the fermenting wort as there would be no exposure to ambient. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Fish

Reasonable, yes. Would I do it myself? Probably not. I do not trust my primary fermentation to be as completely sanitized as my kitchen "lab", in the sense that if a bug were to end up in my yeast, it would be much more likely to come from the primary or secondary as there's a lot more (possible) exposure to contaminants from the moment it leaves the brew kettle until I harvest that yeast.

If I think about where I can pick up a a bug from my kitchen lab, here are the possible sources:

a) tap water I use in the 10% rinse mix. [I could use sterilized water]
b) open container until I cover it with foil
c) foil itself [I could keep the foil at 250F in the oven]
d) side of mason jar that contains the starter [I do flame the side]
e) the yeast vial sides [I do keep it in sanitizing solution]
f) the yeast contents itself [I do smell/taste it after I put it in]
g) the foil I use on top of the erlenmeyer. [oven again]

I mitigate some of the above in my procedure. They are certainly not flawless, but with the zero-infection ratio that I've been getting, I'm not concerned much at all.

I am not as cautious when I'm doing a batch of beer. Haven't had an infection in a long time, but I don't think my brewing procedures are as tight as in my kitchen lab.

So, back to your question: Reasonable? Yes. Should you try it? Why not.

It's the old "There's more than one way to skin a cat".

MC

I was wondering if its possible to make the wort without the pressure cooker. The point of the pressure cooker is to kill the wild yeast or bacteria right.

I was thinking of making the wort and putting them into the jars with loosely fitted lids. Then I would put the jars in a pot of simmering water and allow the wort to get to a boil. The boiled wort and steam should kill all the bugs inside right the jar right?

I also had another question about regnerating the yeast. How do you know how much to step up when generating the yeast? How do you know how much you initially had in the vials you saved to do the step up?

Been a little while since I updated this thread.

I started a Wyeast 1056 yeast that I had stored in March 2011, as per the process in this thread. I put the yeast on the stir plate on Wednesday morning (9am) and at 10p last night (thursday) I had visible fermentation. At 8am today (Friday), I had a full krausen in the erlenmeyer (and in a growler). I plan on pitching tomorrow so I'm in good shape.

MC

I was wondering if its possible to make the wort without the pressure cooker. The point of the pressure cooker is to kill the wild yeast or bacteria right.

I was thinking of making the wort and putting them into the jars with loosely fitted lids. Then I would put the jars in a pot of simmering water and allow the wort to get to a boil. The boiled wort and steam should kill all the bugs inside right the jar right?

For immediate use? Sure. For long term storage? No, as the 212F temperature isn't quite high enough to kill botulism.

I also had another question about regnerating the yeast. How do you know how much to step up when generating the yeast? How do you know how much you initially had in the vials you saved to do the step up?

This, I mostly do from experience. The yeast saved off in the vials is usually a thin 1/8" to 1/4", so the quantity of yeast solids isn't that great. Depending on the level of activity of the yeast during the regeneration, I may decide to do a step-up/augmentation, but often times the yeast is plenty strong to ferment a full batch.

MC

I agree, this thread should be stickied. Best everyday yeast propagation read ive cme across yet. Who neexsto be adressed for this

Great thread. It inspired me to order up a bunch of vials last night.

I note that you do your initial propagation from the growler. Is this a process thing for you, or is there an inherent advantage to the yeast letting it ferment out this way as opposed to using a starter batch to propagate?

I think it would be easier for me just to carve off a couple of vials from my starter each time.

Also, trying to learn more about petite mutation. Sounds like you need to be careful cold crashing too fast?

I note that you do your initial propagation from the growler. Is this a process thing for you, or is there an inherent advantage to the yeast letting it ferment out this way as opposed to using a starter batch to propagate?

I think it would be easier for me just to carve off a couple of vials from my starter each time.

Also, trying to learn more about petite mutation. Sounds like you need to be careful cold crashing too fast?

I have done some storage to vials from erlenmeyer flasks in the past, but during my process of pitching to the fermenters, the flasks tend to stay open longer than I care. There's also less manipulation/open-air time when it's a dedicated starter for storage.

I don't have much info on petite mutation... google may be your best friend on that.

MC

I have done some storage to vials from erlenmeyer flasks in the past, but during my process of pitching to the fermenters, the flasks tend to stay open longer than I care. There's also less manipulation/open-air time when it's a dedicated starter for storage.

I don't have much info on petite mutation... google may be your best friend on that.

MC

I figured you had a good reason for the growler....and I wasn't disappointed.

I have done a few searches on the mutation issue and have not come up with material that satisfactorily answers the question from a brewer's perspective. Like I do with other issues....I'll ignore it for now.

Thanks again for the informative thread and the quick response. This really should be a sticky!

Latest posts

Back