Planning Super BIG Ars OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierliebhaber

Reaction score
I figure every perilous journey should include a little forethought, right?
I brew mostly big beers, so I would say I am familiar with the ins and outs of high OG brewing. I routinely hit pretty close to my target FG on 1.100 beers. BUT this bad boy I'm hoping to land at 1.200+. I know there are other threads discussing these kinds of ventures and I've read them. Here, I am considering a slightly different method of introducing the wort to the yeast, so please let me know what you think. Here goes my recipe and plan of attack:

Batch: 6 gal.
Mash. Eff. 80%
OG: 1.214
Run Off: 16 gal.

NW Pale 28lb
Munich Light 5lb
Belgium Aromatic 2lb
Crystal 150 2lb
Flaked Rye 1lb

Light Brown Sugar 3lb (End of fermentation)

Summit 2oz (90 min); 1oz (60 min); 1oz (20)
Centennial 1oz (10 min); 1oz (5 min)

Procedure
I will mash low 146-148F. Boil down to 6 gal.
Here's the twist:
--I plan to drain some of the final runnings into a separate pot and boil it down to 1 gal. at 1.06-1.07 SG and pitch a large starter of wlp099 onto it (considering brewing an APA for a cake).
--Employ a sort of intravenous method of introducing the concentrated wort. The idea is to place the concentrated wort in a bucket with a faucet and connect a line from the faucet to the fermenter. I would place the diffusion stone directly under the faucet out, constantly delivering filtered air (this will provide aeration and possitive pressure in the wort dispensing bucket).
--Once fermentation is underway, I will set the flow of the concentrated wort to despense over the course of several days, providing a steady and consistent supply of of aerated wort.
--After the wort is significantly munched, I would add the 3lbs of brown sugar in steps.

Thoughts???

**cricket chirps**

My fermenter is a dubble-bung barrel, so I will have a line in for the wort feed and also an airlock on the other bung. I'm thinking there may be need for some additional pressure in the wort dispenser. I may try to rig up a way to have the difussion stone in the wort and a slight amount of co2 pressure, just in case.

I have a 13 gal red ale that I plan to brew with the wlp 099, giving me a massive cake to pitch on.

I've also been planning on starting a 1.2 beer. You're method looks interesting, I'm eager to hear how it turns out. Unfortunately I don't have much of substance to add since I don't have a lot of experience with super high gravity beers. If you haven't, you should check out the "barley brandy" and utopia clone threads. If you can sift through all the bickering there's actually good info in there :D

Back