Heatstick First Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieb2101

Reaction score
Built a heatstick this week and plan on using it for two batches today. We'll see if my craftsmanship holds up or if I electrocute myself or any innocent bystanders. :rockin:

Since I've only got a 20A 120v circuit to pull from, I had to go with a low power version but for now I'm only going to use it as a propane assist. We'll see how it holds up and how much I can shave off my heating time (and propane usage).

Wish me luck, and that I don't get drunk and melt the cord!

i love my heatsticks. i only use them for heating the strike/sparge water, i still use propane for the boil... you should be able to run a 2000W element from a 20A circuit with no problem, as long as you don't have anything else running on the circuit. i use one 1500W and one 2000W on separate circuits and can get my ~11 gallons of water at the begining of brewday from ~40-50 deg up to 175 in about an hour. same amount of time propane took but definitely more cost effective since i used to run my propane burner at full throttle while heating the water.

For the record, the heatstick worked out great. it was only a 1500W model but it cut my time and propane usage significantly. Did two batches and no one got electrocuted.

Back