Has anyone else been brave enough to begin this obsession with swmbo pregnant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
When she tells me I care more about my beer than I do about the baby, I tried to explain to her that this is my FIRST batch of homebrew, and we ALREADY have another kid.

I can't figure out why she got so mad!?!?:mad:

I tried to tell her I was just joking, and they are both equally important...

...again more :mad:

...sigh, oh well. At least when my lil one is born I'll have some wicked homebrew to celebrate with :D

:mug:

Haha, that is great stuff. You know how the old saying fows - a woman becomes a mother the day she finds out she is pregnant, a man becomes a father the day the baby is born

Dude, you can't win a fight with a pregnant women. Even if you win, you lose. Just apologize, wait for the storm to pass and then brew.:D:mug:

Hahahaha,, "equally important"!!! That is awesome!! Next time the 2 of you are at the doctor, ask if it would be ok for her to substitute the daily single glass of wine for a single homebrew. :)

SWMBO is pregnant with our first, (after 4 years of trying) my third batch is in the secondary. I'm already planning my batches back to back over the next 6 months, because I doubt I'll be doing it as often after the little one is born.

Equally important??? lol...I'll bet she didn't find that very funny.

Nothing you can do, just do really sweet things for her and brew when you get the chance.

The celebration beer is a must!

SWMBO is pregnant with our first, (after 4 years of trying) my third batch is in the secondary. I'm already planning my batches back to back over the next 6 months, because I doubt I'll be doing it as often after the little one is born.

a201_004.jpg

Hahahaha,, "equally important"!!! That is awesome!! Next time the 2 of you are at the doctor, ask if it would be ok for her to substitute the daily single glass of wine for a single homebrew. :)

Maybe a bit off topic, but I think it's worth mentioning that the only amount of alcohol we know to be safe for the fetus is zero. This is coming from a doctor who is so far the only person who brings me empties, so she is no prude.

edit: To go further off topic, I just opened the last bag of said empties and found 1 pry-off and 10 twist-offs :(

She also says it is good to take folic acid supplements because there are several birth defects that can be prevented this way, but I don't know if she can be trusted after bringing me so many twist-offs!

When she tells me I care more about my beer than I do about the baby, I tried to explain to her that this is my FIRST batch of homebrew, and we ALREADY have another kid.

...sigh, oh well. At least when my lil one is born I'll have some wicked homebrew to celebrate with :D

This one gets my vote for funniest post ever.

My wife was and still is pregnant when I started in January. The smells really get to her, and because she hates beer it's probably worse. She flipped when I tried to budget for brewing. The biggest thing that irritates her is when I leave empty bottles in the sink to de-label or dry. She's finally coming around though. I dragged her to the LHBS, and she really likes the owner which helps.

hahahaha,,,

aah....I love this place.

My wife doesn't drink while she's pregnant...at all

which is precisely the same reason she probably loves my new hobby ;)

Anywho, 6 months from now, I will have 2 beautiful children, and hopefully a couple of decent home brews and life will be good!

Cheers

I started this craziness when my wife was pregnant. In fact, I can blame it all on her. She bought me the beginning kit from the LHBS when she was 7 months pregnant. I got it for my birthday in late April, I brewed in May, and our son was born in June. He's now 4 and a half. It's nice being able to pin all the blame on her. :D

One thing every guy with any decent experience with women should be aware of (and it goes a thousand fold for a pregnant woman), is that it does not matter how rational and logical your argument is - It could be the pinnacle of rational thinking - but if you don't address how your wife/girlfriend is feeling, you are not going to resolve the issue.

Your success here totally relies on your ability to reassure your wife that she is, no not equally important, but MORE important than your beer......and realistically, this should be the case, even though there is of course room in your heart for both, and it is only your SWMBO who see's it as a competition. My point is, don't waste your time trying to be right, cuz it doesn't pay....just help her feel,...yep,.....like you care......;)

She's pregnant... she's right. Just remember that.

Back down, let her decide to let you brew (or just do it while she's gone or sleeping).

My daughter's 4, I'm STILL in trouble for some stupid sh*t I would not back down on back when the wife was pregnant...

Good advice, but just so you know, the "storm" never ends. Just so you know.

Yeah, but that particular storm will pass. Then you just gotta keep your eyes on those gray clouds on the horizon. At least that's how I handle it with my wife. :D She loves my hobbies, I cook and I brew.

She doesn't know what she's talking about during this time. And remember that even after the child is born, her chemicals are still churning. It takes some time for things to get back to normal, and by then you wont' even remember what normal was like! It's all good!

Do these kind of conversations happen when she is not pregnant?

I told my wife that I need to get kegging gear when we start trying to have kids. :D I positioned as a way to free up more time for me.

I think brewing is a good hobby since it keeps you at home and out of of trouble. It's not important to brew, but it does make you happy.

Life does not end just because you are going to have kids. I'm sure your life will be busier, but there should be plenty of time for both.

Some of you guys take yourself a little too seriously.

Just read the post and laugh...or don't

I would not be stupid enough to actually say that to her with any sort of seriousness.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I think it's worth mentioning that the only amount of alcohol we know to be safe for the fetus is zero.

This is true, but that is because we don't KNOW what the fetal toxicity threshold is for ethanol exposure. There is some research that has been done on other primates that suggests that it may be a very low level - so it is prudent not to consume ETOH while pregnant. That said, many drugs contain some degree of ETOH in them since it is widely used as a preservative in pharmaceuticals. I'd suggest the safe threshold is somewhere between zero and low. Not that I'm advocating pregnant women should drink - but I'm just saying don't freak out if you find out that the medicine your MD/DO prescribed has 10% ETOH.

And in the useless trivia department: ETOH used to be prescribed to halt pre-term contractions up until 20 or 30 years ago. My mother described it as a horrible experience - all the feeling of getting smashed without any of the fun of being out drinking. :drunk: Research has shown it wasn't effective... thank you evidence based medicine.
Treatment of imminent premature labour. [Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1975] - PubMed Result

Some of you guys take yourself a little too seriously.

Just read the post and laugh...or don't

I would not be stupid enough to actually say that to her with any sort of seriousness.

I did laugh... but I'd have said the same thing joking around and my girlfriend would still likely have acted like she was peeved. :D

Dude, you can't win a fight with a pregnant women. Even if you win, you lose. Just apologize, wait for the storm to pass and then brew.:D:mug:

In my experience, it doesn't matter if they are pregnant or not. Your advise is spot on. :mug:

Every pregnant women needs a good spa day to help her get over little things like this. Once she is gone though it's time to fire up the cooker and brew. :D

I wonder if you can get a onesie to fit a carboy? Maybe have "Daddies Favorite" printed on it.

She doesn't know what she's talking about during this time. And remember that even after the child is born, her chemicals are still churning. It takes some time for things to get back to normal, and by then you wont' even remember what normal was like! It's all good!

This makes it sound like pregnancy is kind of like primary fermentation. A big quick blow-off, but then even after the child is born (secondary fermentation) there is still some chemical activity with no indication in the air-lock. I say, if you can't tell, wait another week and stick a hydrometer in her!!

:mug: Taking nothing seriously here.....

This makes it sound like pregnancy is kind of like primary fermentation. A big quick blow-off, but then even after the child is born (secondary fermentation) there is still some chemical activity with no indication in the air-lock. I say, if you can't tell, wait another week and stick a hydrometer in her!!

haha...thats funny.

Beware of off flavors (and odors) after bottling :D.

Back