Bubble...gross!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frilock

Reaction score
Wow...got my first fruit/bubblegum/:ban: flavor today. My last few batches have been brewing a little warm. Our A/C Broke and thus here in O-town, Florida my beer has been a little warm. Usually the house is between 72 and 75, so its never really been an issue before, a little on the warm side sometimes, but usually not enough that 3 weeks in the bucket and 3 weeks in the bottle can't fix. Unfortunatly this winter is unusually warm (it was close to 85 on christmas day if I remember correctly) and with the AC being low on freon, I've been forced to either A.) Not brew(not gonna happen) or B.) stick it in the coolest closet in the house and hope for the best (yep).

About a week ago I poped open the test bottle of my Mr. Beer English Brown (I got it for my B-day, sometimes its fun to brew up a quicky Mr. batch) and it was ok. I was brewing up my latest batch (IIPA that I accidently forgot to set a timer on so it got a 75ish minute boil instead of 60, which is ok...I like the bitterness) and had a few shots of Airlock vodka(no alcohol ever goes to waste here) and thus probably didn't notice.

Upon bottling a third batch I had brewed up a while back (Oatmeal) I decided to crack open another bottle to celebrate a new brew. After the first few sips I took a big gulp...there it was...bubble gum. Eew. Much much Eew.
I remember reading on here so many times about how beer at too high of a temp would give this off flavor, and I remember thinking to myself...bah, humbug. I like bubble gum, it won't be so bad. Now I see how wrong I was. Beer and bubble gum don't mix. I hope Revy's right and time will heal my beer. Its not undrinkable, but its going to take a while to drink (I poured this around 7:55ish and its now 9:15ish, I've still got about 1/4 of a pint glass to go).

I just figured I would post this up as a warning to all of those who have never yet had this flavor yet. It may not sound like it would be all that bad...but the first time you get it...it makes your heart hurt just a little bit. Always make sure you brew in the right temp range, and always have a bottle of vodka on hand if you haven't decided if you like your beer yet.

Thank you, good night!

I remember my first beer, a Mr. Beer Witty Monk Wheat, had that Bubblegum flavor. I was like what the heck? I was oh-so-new to the whole concept, haha.

If you read my experiences with a higher than normal temp with bubblegum, you will see that all is not necessarily lost.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

After 6 months the remaining beer turned into the best damn beer I brewed...

There's no gaurentee...BUT if you save it you have a 50 percent chance of having drinkable beer...if you dump you have a 100% chance of NOT haveing it. :mug:

Back