Kettle Strainer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padstack31

Reaction score
So I'm looking to make some modifications to my Kettle (which is a converted keg...Keggle) to improve the process of sperating the wort from the trub at the end of the boil and before I run it through my plate chiller. (yes I do a whirlpool before I start to draw off the wort) However, my current setup doesn't do the best job of not pulling some of the trub through and I wanted to see what creative ideas the HBT club has for this.

Thanks

You could build a hopstrainer by using a paint strainer clamped to a pvc section, it'll help reduce trub especially if you're using pellet hops. There's DIY instructions if you search. Or you could go for a Hopstopper if you don't mind shelling out some cash

What do you think of this idea...

Instead of trying to filter all the trub from the wort in the kettle, I filter out the best I can while still maintaing a free flow and then use a hopback connected to the ball value output from the kettle to act as a secondary screen to catch any of the remaining trub before the wort passes to the plate chiller. I could use the hopback for all my aroma hops (instead of throwing them in at flame out) or just use the screen.

Anyone tried this somthing like this (I've never used a hopback) or see any issues that I'm not thinking about?

BlackTie...I was typing my last comment and missed yours, I'm glad you had the same idea...good looking out

Back