What other hobbies do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer recipe design
Riding my snowboard
Skiing- alpine, nordic, telemark
mountain biking
cyclocross
road riding (on a bicycle dumb@ss)
HTML
baking pastry
winter camping

When I have time (which is rare, now with school and a baby)...

1. Cooking. More specifically, grilling.
2. Web development (currently working on a beer recipe db and an innovative new social program that will rock the world)
3. Photography
4. Cubs games (although they stink like yesterday's trub this year)
5. Biking (just got a bike, but I never have time to ride)
6. Halo 2 (Cunnilicious on Xbox Live, if anyone wants to play)
7. Camping (try to go once per year, but it's going to be a while)
8. Used to go to concerts.
9. Downloading music (mostly via BitTorrent)
10. Getting drunk with friends and solving the world's (and the Cubs') problems.

Brewing
Drinking
Collecting Star Wars Lego kits
Woodworking
Hiking
Writing Screenplays (this is a new one, I'll let you know how it goes.)
Local Civil War History
I used to own and maintain a 79 MG Midget, but had to give it up so I could get my 350Z. :ban:
Landscaping

1. All sports... played a little semi-pro football
2. Brewing
3. Drinking what I brew
4. Traveling
5. Eating
6. Spending time with my dog (sometimes the wife)
7. Snowboarding when I can
8. Shooting... see large pea shooter

front_rifles.jpg

Hobbies I enjoy:
1. Brewing
2. Classic car restoration
3. Playing my drums
4. Shooting
5. Skiing

John

516255525.jpg

515535540.jpg

After having a child, this list is greatly diminished, however, here is what I enjoy doing in my free time:

Reading - Any nonsensical fantasy fiction. (Ala Robert Asprin, Craig Shaw Gardner, or Piers Anthony)
Cooking - Gourmet meals and new creations as well as BBQ'n and smoking.
Mountain Biking - There are no actual mountains on the Gulf coast, but I do like riding by the beach. (I love my GT Mountain Bike).
Motorcycling - I like to ride my bike as much as my bike.

And finally, I love to sit down with my lovely wife for a nice movie with good surround sound and some popcorn.
:cross:

Young child + house that needs work + job with a work load that always keeps me here on weekends = little time for ANY hobbies.

I actually took up homebrewing as something that I could do, for lack of a better term, selfishly. It takes up several hours a couple weekends a months, time that I'm not doing something more "productive." I was going nuts last year, I was absolutely miserable at times, because the stress of ALWAYS trying to get something done was driving me up the wall.

I really, REALLY needed a hobby whose slogan is "Relax, Don't Worry..."

Besides homebrew, I really enjoy cooking, although whoever said "baking pastry" can keep that. This has gotten a lot tougher living more in the boonies, not having ready access to a Whole Foods ("Whole Paycheck") or any other really top-tier supermarket. But, I cook up some damn, damn tasty food, lots of Asian-influenced things, ah, I need to cook my mussells again.

Otherwise, it's mostly house-stuff and kid - not that there's anything wrong with those! I do want to get a bike in a few years, but there are two laws laid down by SWMBO before that happens.

1. Cassie's got to be at least four years old; not entirely sure why other than that's the age my nephew was before my brother was allowed to get HIS bike.

2. I've got to buy SWMBO this $500 vacuum cleaner before I can spend a time on a motorcylce. I give her lots of crap about how stereotypical this is, but it's all about her allergies. Me, I can't see dropping that kind of coin on a vacuum, but it may just mean that my first bike is $500 more expensive than the asking price.

johnsma22 said:
Hobbies I enjoy:
1. Brewing
2. Classic car restoration
3. Playing my drums
4. Shooting
5. Skiing

John

Cool, another classic Pontiac owner on the list! Are you a member of Forever Firebirds Club?

I used to fly, too. Had my private VFR certificate about four years when I lost an eye to glaucoma, and medical expenses grounded me about two years ago. It's just about time to get back into the air, I think.........

1. Counter-Strike 1.6
2. Collecting Live Concerts (incomplete list at db.etree.org/nolan)
3. Making CS Maps / CS Movies
4. Reading
5. Cooking

I like to - building brewing stuff, mandolin, cooking, kids, reading almost anything, distilling (in theory of course), landscaping, hiking...

I have time to - eat, sleep and work...

things i actually do:
1. Tennis (duh!)
2. Boxing (my boss has a ring in a space he rents, and we spar (brawl) with each other once a week.
3. music (i play bass and guitar, and go to shows at least once a week)
4. read (i if werent in school id be reading alot more, but i still read about a book per week)
5. fishing (mostly locally from damneck beach, but my bro has a boat and we go out hunting for cobia and/or sharks off sandbridge) i also try to make it down to the point (HI-hatteras island) at least 3 times a summer

things id like to do
1. learn how to fly (they teach this at my school, but its big bucks)
2. travel more (i cant wait to go to europe)
3. get more tattoo's (another thing where money is the only obstacle)
4. play hockey (i used to be in a roller league back in cali, but since i moved here (VA) i let it fall to the way side and i miss it!)

In my spare time I like to;

Work on my cars (muscle type)

DIY projects (owning a house as old as you are is humbling)

Hone my skills in the kitchen, much to my families delight

PC Gaming, Call of Duty 2 anyone?

Charity work

Blog

Brew

Drink Brew

Recover from drinking too much brew

punishment.jpg

I started homebrewing in 83. I had returned from Germany in 80 and was disgusted by american beer. I searched out the then obscure hobby of homebrewing and got going.

I never looked back.

Cheers,

knewshound

I travel lots, fish, hunt, hike, canoe, ski, trying to learn guitar, read. Work part-time. Have two teenagers and a husband.

I played hockey until March when I broke my leg. Boredom led to homebrewing. My leg is still broken (not healing) but now I don't really care.........

Lorena

I never would have guessed there were so many pro-gun people here. Am I the only liberal fag here who doesn't care to own a firearm? Don't get me wrong - I like shooting them and I've done pretty well shooting skeet considering it's something I do only every 10 years or so. I'm just not into hunting or owning firearms. I'd gladly trade my second ammendment rights for the right to legally grow and smoke pot. But seeing as how it's not legal and not a good example to set for my son, I have to Just Say No to both drugs and guns.

Evets said:
Bluegrass(drinking) festivals, pickin banjo, mandolin and guitar. Growing tomatoes, sweet corn, and beans.

Sweet looking Mando on your avatar. Who made it? Is it yours? I have a Weber, but its not as pretty as that one!

Brewpastor said:
Sweet looking Mando on your avatar. Who made it? Is it yours? I have a Weber, but its not as pretty as that one!

Yeah, that's mine. It's a Gibson F5G. It's amazing how a little sunshine brings out the color and grain of the wood. Sounds pretty good too, tho I have tried a Weber or two that sounded better, IMO

Cheesefood said:
I never would have guessed there were so many pro-gun people here. Am I the only liberal fag here who doesn't care to own a firearm? Don't get me wrong - I like shooting them and I've done pretty well shooting skeet considering it's something I do only every 10 years or so. I'm just not into hunting or owning firearms. I'd gladly trade my second ammendment rights for the right to legally grow and smoke pot. But seeing as how it's not legal and not a good example to set for my son, I have to Just Say No to both drugs and guns.

That's cool with me- as long as I don't have to say no to mine(guns, that is):)

Evets said:
Yeah, that's mine. It's a Gibson F5G. It's amazing how a little sunshine brings out the color and grain of the wood. Sounds pretty good too, tho I have tried a Weber or two that sounded better, IMO

It is a real beauty, and I imagine the tone matches.

Army ('72-'80), Army civilian ('81-present - retiring in 3 years).
Brewing since '93:mug: , natch...photog and travel since I was born a ramblin' man, play pop/rock/metal guitar (I have 6 of them, 4 amps and tons of effects pedals) since '71. Been in several bands and played in bars for a couple of years while in college ('81-'82).:rockin:

I used to be a long distance runner (had a 4:45 mile when I was 17), long hiker, learned mountain climbing in Europe (fell 65' in a free-climbing (no equipment) accident in '78) and snow ski when I was younger...:D

Sampling beers from around the world in their country of origin...:drunk:

Cheesefood said:
Am I the only liberal fag here who doesn't care to own a firearm? Don't get me wrong ... I'd gladly trade my second ammendment rights for the right to legally grow and smoke pot.

I'd trade over half the gov't we got for... a ham sandwich or something. Maybe a good cup of coffee.

Not to make this a political thread, but check out The Quiz:

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

While I have no desire to use the magic herb, I support your right to do whatever you please in your home with your person. So long as you don't harm anyone else - even the unborn.

Gov't should build a few roads, keep a military, protect the borders, jail the perverts & thieves... and that's about it. Legislating morality, stimulating economic growth (a very sore spot with me - State of TN, and county and local governments whored themselves out to the tune of $195 million to lure the Nissan HQ - let the free market determine that!), caring for the lazy, and regulating other free markets that don't need regulation are anti-constitutional.

In addition to sharing libertarian views and stirring up stuff on internet forums, my other hobbies include NRA high power shooting, souping up mine and my wife's diesel pickups, owning several guitars and basses (I'm not good enough to be a "player"), and playing with my kids.

Well I've been playing the violin for 8 years, and I sometimes like to shoot random things with my pellet rifle. Other than that my interest is food :yum:

Back