Mikey likes it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Old and Busted: Natural Gas Stove :(
New Hotness: Turkey Fryer :D

I just put together my turkey fryer that I got for christmas and tried it out on a couple of gallons of water. It brought that water to a boil fast! I'm brewing my first batch with it on Thursday and I'm going to time it. I t should be done in alot less time than the stove top method.

brewsmith said:

I just put together my turkey fryer that I got for christmas and tried it out on a couple of gallons of water. It brought that water to a boil fast! I'm brewing my first batch with it on Thursday and I'm going to time it. I t should be done in alot less time than the stove top method.

Oh yeah!!! How big is your kettle? Bring on them full volume boils! It is sooooooooo much easier using a turkey fryer setup, then a stove top. YAY!!!

That's what I use too.

Even better if you make a dipstick or marks on the spoon to measure how much water/wort is in the pot. I actually hammered liter marks into the side of my SS turkey fryer pot.

Kai

brewsmith said:

I'm jelous . . .my new turkey fryer is still in the box and I need to get my half barrel to the blacksmith yet to get the top cut off. I want to use it ASAP for a new batch but trying to not make anything else for a while until I can get a mash/lauter tun whipped up and start doing all grains

I haven't installed the ring burner in my old turkey fryer, yet. I need to get that done and run a batch of CoC Brown before the bulldozer arrives and digs out my patio.

I've got to get a freakin' turkey frier! I know I can afford one, it's just a matter of buying one when I have the cash on hand.

The pot it came with is a 30 quart, but it is aluminiun. But I can borrow a ss one until I buy one. Hurray for full wort boils! :D

What do you mean faster than a stove top? You guys brew in the house? I had to buy a turkey fryer after my first batch. My wife loves my beer but she won't let me brew in the house. I made too big a mess in the kitchen and the hops stinks. She doesn't ask much.... make the house payments, buy me jewelry and brew outside. Damn, I'm whipped, aren't I?

I enjoy the smell that fills the house during brewing. It reminds me of... well, brewing beer. Too bad not everyone has such a keen sense of smell. :D Brewing inside isn't bad. The turkey fryer just beats the kitchen stove. And yes, I've made the mess in the kitchen (boilovers, spilling wort, sink breaking and flooding the kitchen). You just have to clean everything up to her specs afterward.

Hey guys, I got a nice SS Turkey Fryer for Christmas from Sam's. SunJoy makes it. Burner, stand, everything is SS. It's 34 qts I believe. I installed a Weld-B-Gone spigot in it and ended up having to cut a small slot in the big (thick) ring that goes around the burner (keeps the pot from sliding off) so the spigot would fit back on the burner... Doh.... Just something to consider.

Mash tun is almost done, doing first AG this weekend!

-TheCheat

I'm already looking to modify the guard that holds the pot on the burner. It only holds the pot the thing came with. Time to weld up something that will hold a bigger pot! :D

Since we are on the topic, I picked up two burners for $10 last week. One was used and covered in peanut oil, the other is new but missing a leg. I offered the used one to a friend of mine but will probably never come get it. The other unit I will use the burner to upgrade my 10 year old unit. I really bought them for the kettles, one will be turned into a hlt and the second one into a backup lauter tun. I thought I got a bargain eventhough the both pots were covered in peanut oil, then I tried cleaning them. The pots will be dissolved away from all the caustic I used before all of the oil is cleaned off. I know the effect caustic has on aluminum but they are useless to me covered in oil. I did make out on a new stainless table top grill for $10. It was missing a regulator and a couple stainless screws, I called the manufacture and they are sending replacements free of charge.

Back