connecting a 1-1/4" npt element to a 2" triclamp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODI3

Reaction score
Is there a triclamp element adapter plate that would fit the element?

I have adapters that say "will fit standard water heater element" but havent had much luck finding out what that size would be.

I used these, they are 2". I think any element that screws in will fit.

http://www.hillbillystills.com/Heating_Element_plate_p/hecp.htm

5500w camco ripple elements fit through them no problem. You have to get creative covering up the connection though. Someone on here had a neat idea mounting them which I copied. I welded the adapters through a steel cover plate for a jbox, which covers the connections nicely and makes the ground easy to deal with too. Just wire the ground to the jbox. If I did it over I would have used a cut piece of steel for the cover, the regular plates are thin and easy to warp while welding.

IMG7276-M.jpg

IMG7273-M.jpg

IMG7270-M.jpg

I think the camco element and most of the adapters are only 1 inch. Im looking for an adapter that is for 1 1/4"

It specifically says 1 1/4" npt
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200816740252?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have found some tri clamp to 1 1/4 adapters online but they are about $150.00. WOW!
I assume its due to being a custom to-order product.

I am thinking that apping a whole into a tri clamp cap prob wont work due to not having room for the triclamp or enough threads
Do you think if i bought the item you have and then have it drilled out to 1 1/4 npt would work?
Maybe ill stop by a local welder and see what they say.

Thanks for the pics mateob, thats a pretty badass setup!

There is enough thickness for threads in a 2" cap given 0 pressure. I did it that way but now you have great options as others have linked.

Another way to go might be to get a long 2" triclamp ferrule, solder on a copper disk, drill a hole in the disk, then solder a locknut over the hole.

Back