Cold crash then lager? Or lager then cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
I'm ready to lager a pils/lager in the fridge for 6-8 weeks.

Should I cold crash the primary, transfer to keg, and leave it for 8 weeks? Or transfer to secondary, leave it for 8 weeks, and then transfer to keg?

The vessel isn't quite as important as temperature. I rack my lagers directly to kegs for lagering all the time - and I also throw some in carboys. I don't know if there is any difference, but they're all delicious! RDWHAHB!!

My first lager is in the fermenter right now.
Fermentation is complete(50 degrees), as is 2 days at 70 degrees.

My plan now is to cold crash for 2 days at 36 degrees to drop most of the yeast, then transfer to the keg, and lager at 36 for 4 weeks, then carb for 2 weeks, then drink!

It's a Munich Helles, so pretty simple, low gravity brew. I'm hoping for the best.

I would also throw in that you should seriously consider doing a diacetyl rest for a couple of days at room temperature, then start your lagering.

Rack it to the keg, and THEN lager it. That way you have it off of the yeast cake, for the "cleanest" flavor.
I have a question about this procedure.

If transfer to keg, then cold crash/lager:
Yes, the beer is off the yeast cake quicker, but there is still lots of yeast in suspension. Won't a mini cake form at the bottom of the keg, and the beer will be on that cake for the entire 8-12 weeks of lagering?

If cold crash, then transfer to keg: The beer is on the cake for the additional time it takes to crash, but now much less yeast transferred into the keg. So, very little to no cake forms in keg. Wouldn't this beer essentially be off the cake 8-12 weeks sooner?

thanks

I have a question about this procedure.

If transfer to keg, then cold crash/lager:
Yes, the beer is off the yeast cake quicker, but there is still lots of yeast in suspension. Won't a mini cake form at the bottom of the keg, and the beer will be on that cake for the entire 8-12 weeks of lagering?

If cold crash, then transfer to keg: The beer is on the cake for the additional time it takes to crash, but now much less yeast transferred into the keg. So, very little to no cake forms in keg. Wouldn't this beer essentially be off the cake 8-12 weeks sooner?

thanks

I don't think Yooper was addressing the question of crashing before transfer to the keg, just whether it or not was wise to lager in the primary (on the cake).

I think she'd agree with 1) crash a few days, 2) transfer to keg/purge, and then 3) lager in the keg.

BigFloyd said:
I don't think Yooper was addressing the question of crashing before transfer to the keg, just whether it or not was wise to lager in the primary (on the cake).

I think she'd agree with 1) crash a few days, 2) transfer to keg/purge, and then 3) lager in the keg.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering the same thing. My guess was that she meant what you explained, but it is nice to have the confirmation. Thanks again!

Haha, you're right, i can't read. Thanks for explaining the procedure.

Bear in mind, either method will require you to leave the keg motionless to the very last glassful. You can move it with the utmost care, but to transfer it somewhere will cloud up your beer.

Bear in mind, either method will require you to leave the keg motionless to the very last glassful. You can move it with the utmost care, but to transfer it somewhere will cloud up your beer.

I'm not sure that I'm following you about when you're saying you have to leave it motionless.

After cold-crashing, I'm racking pretty darn clear beer into the keg, then I have to carry it out of my basement to my keezer (in my game room) to purge and lager. If I use gelatin, I'll have to draw of a glass or two of gunk from the bottom before serving clear beer. Once it's in the keezer, why would I move it until it's empty?

Back