First Lager. Yeast question. Help needed ASAP.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhern053

Reaction score
Made my starter (1.040 OG) 48 hours ago and pitched some WLP800 Pilsner Lager Yeast at 50 degrees F.

No signs of fermentation, probably because it was 50 degrees (and it just takes a while to start).

But I'm brewing tomorrow, so I warmed it up to speed up the starter's fermentation (let it rise to 60ish).

24 hours later, still no signs of fermentation.

Should I be worried? Should I pitch the starter or get some new yeast?

Made my starter (1.040 OG) 48 hours ago and pitched some WLP800 Pilsner Lager Yeast at 50 degrees F.

No signs of fermentation, probably because it was 50 degrees (and it just takes a while to start).

But I'm brewing tomorrow, so I warmed it up to speed up the starter's fermentation (let it rise to 60ish).

24 hours later, still no signs of fermentation.

Should I be worried? Should I pitch the starter or get some new yeast?

Since starters are pretty small, sometimes they ferment out fast without any noticeable signs. Can you check the SG and see if it's lower? That'd be the best way to tell.

Just listened to Jamil talk about this exact topic. He does every starter at room temp. For lagers, he cold crashes and decants the wort. So, go ahead and warm up that starter.

Eric.

Thanks everyone. I warmed up the starter to room temp (~65) for 24 hours and started seeing signs of fermentation. Brewed today and pitched the starter at 50 degrees F. In the future, I will make a bigger starter (1800ml probably) a few days before.

Back