Put in Primary 2 days ago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! How about air temp?

Air temp is mostly irrelevant, but if it's in the low-mid 60s that's a good place. The important thing is the beer temperature, so a "stick on" thermometer is good to have on it. Then you can monitor the actual beer temperature instead of wondering!

Yooper said:
Air temp is mostly irrelevant, but if it's in the low-mid 60s that's a good place. The important thing is the beer temperature, so a "stick on" thermometer is good to have on it. Then you can monitor the actual beer temperature instead of wondering!

During vigorous fermentation I noticed that the temp of fermenting wort was higher than the stick on strip. The other day I looked at the strip and it said 64*, I stuck a thermometer in the airlock hole and the temp was 72 so I moved it to my heated garage where the temp was about 60* ambient. After fermentation slowed down, the temp was 2* higher in the fermenter than the strip. So all those batches I thought I was good since the strip read in the upper 60* range, it was really in the low to mid 70s, which might be high for some yeast strains.

Back