Bubbling in the Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oahu

Reaction score
We, as of now, have not witnessed a bubble. We have been looking, but none so far. I've stared at the thing for lengthy (30+ minutes) periods of time.It has been 32 hours. When should the bubbling be going? Should I be concerned?

Sorry about all the questions, just kinda a wort-hypochondriac.

I've done lots of fermentations, not just beer. What I will say is that when you get the conditions just right fermentation should be quick to start, give generous CO2 output and the overall fermentation time should be fairly swift.

What yeast did you use? I've never seen it not work but I have definately seen batches that were slow to get off the starting blocks.

I'm assuming it's in a bucket? If so, carefull;y pop the lid and see if there's any foam on top. If so, relax. Your bucket isn't completely airtight, and the CO2 is escaping elsewhere.

If it still looks stagnant, you might consider re-pitching.

Also, look for signs that the krausen has come and gone...like a one inch ring of scum around the bucket just above the wort. On my first batch I never saw a bubble either, but when I peaked after twenty-hours I could tell that the krausen had already come and gone.

Wyeast Smack Pack. Smacked for 30 hours before usage. Good and inflated. I just checked and there is quite a healthy layer of foam in there. So maybe it's just slow to get off the ground? Or the CO2 is escaping elsewhere...

El Pistolero said:
CO2 is escaping elsewhere.

I have just discovered there was not enough Vodka in the airlock. Oops! It's bubbling away now.Maybe 6-10 times a minute as a guess.

You are filling the airlock with vodka?
Why not just use water? I have heard of people using glycerine but never have I heard somebody use vodka until now.

Turricaine said:
You are filling the airlock with vodka?
Why not just use water? I have heard of people using glycerine but never have I heard somebody use vodka until now.

I've used vodka in the airlock since my very first batch. Think about it, if any gets in the fermenter, big deal. Can't say that about tap water.

I also keep a bottle of 100 proof cheap Vodka down in my Brew room, goes in my airlock, gets used on little cotton pads for last minute sterile wipe downs like when i've already sanitized something but am worried I handled it too much, even some gargling before siphoning ;) .......Relax have a homebrew (and a shot of vodka)

Oahu said:
I have just discovered there was not enough Vodka in the airlock. Oops! It's bubbling away now.Maybe 6-10 times a minute as a guess.

That was going to be my next question, but I didn't want to insult you. :D

Thanks Sam, I appreciate your care towards my fragile emotional state :) In all seriousness, I need to be told when I am doing something stupid. Ask my wife.

Back