Efficiency Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forbein11

Reaction score
Just brewed using a new method. Brewed the lager (Munich Dunkel) recipe below. Normally, I get 78% or so efficiency with a single temp rest and a double batch sparge with no mashout. Today I used a protein rest at 123 and and saccrification (sp?) rest at 154 with a double batch sparge. I ended up at 89%. I know the math is right as I used Beersmith or calcs. Mashtun is a 10 gal igloo cooler.

Could this be due to the new process w/ the proteing rest? Is it more likely the shop sent too much grain somehow? Am I missing something obvious somewhere? I'm not worried about the beer, only consistency. I had been very consistent prior to this missing by only a point or two each time. Any insight appreciated.

4.75 lb Vienna
4.75 lb Munich
.5 lbDark Munich (20L)
.5lb C80
.45 carafa III
2 oz tradition 4% at 60

At 75% should be 1.051 for me. I got 1.058

What temps did you do your rest at? Also why did you do a protein rest? It looks like your malts would be the fully modified type not requiring a rest.

I did the rest at 123 and it fell to 121 in the half hour. I did the rest for two reasons. It seems a lot of dunkel recipes call for it and just to try another process I never did to see how it worked out. I wanted to see if I could hit the temperatures with my system.

I'd just like to know why the efficiency was so high. IS it the fact that munich and vienna are already moslty modified? If so, is there a problem with a temp rest on fully modified grains if efficiency is increased?

Thanks.

depending on the maltster, malt analysis report for that specific lot number the numbers can vary. Some analysis sheets can come in at as low as 33 points and others up around 36 points for munich malt. Depending on the maltster some malts will benefit from a protein rest and pick up points

It's possible that the protein rest's real benefit to your efficiency was allowing greater time for the starches to get into solution.

However, I'm not a fan of protein rests after ending up with several beers with TERRIBLE head. Seriously, I had a wheat beer made with 66% wheat that was thin as can be with zero head. 30 minutes is about the absolute limit to protein rests that people recommend, with 15-20 being preferred. And still, protein rests are usually only recommended when you have a lot of grains that are high in protein (like wheat or anything unmalted).

But that's awesome that you increased your efficiency so much!

Back