First Hefe - Off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanK2

Reaction score
I brewed my first Hefe on 1/5 and I bottled on the 24th. I put a couple in grolsh bottles so I could check carb levels. I just popped one and it was carbed up good enough to taste so I poured a small glass. It tastes like a hefe should but then on the back end of the draw there's this lemony flavor that I definitely didn't want. Is this something that will go away with age? I thought I wasn't supposed to age a hefe very long and the fresher the better? Am I stuck with this off flavor?

Recipe:
5 Gallons

6lbs Wheat LME
8oz Flaked Wheat
8oz Flaked Oats
1oz Hallertau @ 60
Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068

I fermented at 65 for 10 days and then at 70 for 9 days. Bottled using dextrose and idophor no rinse as sanitizer.

Any ideas?

Thats odd. The unmalted grains aren't typically found in a Hefe, but thats probably not what is causing the flavor. Wheat malt is known for giving kind of a tangy and sometimes lemony type of flavor. It could just be that.

Well I went to my LHBS and told them I want to get as close to Weihenstephaner Hefe as I can with an extract brew. This is what they told me to make. Up front it's spot on, but the lemony lingering after taste is not.

Give it some more time to condition. The beer is definitely still green so it may mellow out with age. Glad that it tastes spot on besides the tang though! GL!

Back