Wanting to make dip sticks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Hi,
Someone informed me today that using a hardwood dowel post boil could cause infection since they are porous and Star San isn't rated for that. If I seal them with water based polyurethane (I don't want to use oil based stuff as it might cause the laundry marker to run) would that make them safe (after Star San each time of course). Someone said plastic or stainless steel, but I haven't been able to locate them at the hardware store and I already have the stuff and I am cheap ;-):tank:

Lots of people have home made hardwood mash paddles. Mine is maple. Its not terribly porous. I use it to stir hops or whatever in during the boil, so I think its sanitized. Never had a problem.

No polyeurethane or oil either!

Pre-boil is fine, post-boil, you have a chance of introducing some bugs.

Do you want something to measure volume in your fermenter? Or in the kettle post-boil?

For the kettle, I just use my white plastic brew spoon...I've cut lines into the handle with a sharp knife at one gallon intervals. Works fine and is sanitized by using it to stir occasionally during the boil (I like to push any hops pellet particles back down into the wort that may get pushed up onto the walls of the kettle).

I don't use it in my fermenter, but I would if I needed to, would just have to be sanitized first. (And of course marked for gallons for the fermenter...different diameter than the kettle.)

Edit: Or you could use some rigid plastic tubing. Check an aquarium shop. It's cheap.

Pre-boil is fine, post-boil, you have a chance of introducing some bugs.

Do you want something to measure volume in your fermenter? Or in the kettle post-boil?

For the kettle, I just use my white plastic brew spoon...I've cut lines into the handle with a sharp knife at one gallon intervals. Works fine and is sanitized by using it to stir occasionally during the boil (I like to push any hops pellet particles back down into the wort that may get pushed up onto the walls of the kettle).

I don't use it in my fermenter, but I would if I needed to, would just have to be sanitized first. (And of course marked for gallons for the fermenter...different diameter than the kettle.)

Edit: Or you could use some rigid plastic tubing. Check an aquarium shop. It's cheap.

Both kettle and carboy. I'll check the tubing out.

Just thought of another material...CPVC pipe. Also very cheap.

FWIW
- I found aluminum rod at my orange box. I think it was about 1/4 inch diameter. It was creally heap and very easy to notch the gallon marks. Sanitizes in Starsan when needed. I have one for the BK and another for HLT. AL isn't as fancy as the SS or plastics but it works and didn't cost to much time or money.

Jason

Back