Brewing and Carbon Monoxide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
I am making some balloon wine, which I guess just means that a balloon goes on top with holes poked through, and it acts sort of like an airlock. No air in, only out.
Now, my question is, my apartment is real small, and my bedroom is only 9X11 feet. I started up a new 3 gallon batch yesterday, and set it on my desk. I kinda forgot about it, and came home and after sitting in my room for about an hour, my eyes started to hurt and I had a real bad sore throat. I didnt think much about the wine, just thought I was coming down with the flu. I just thought this morning about the wine though, and some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is eye pain and sore throat. Is the wine actually giving off that much CO2?
Thanks

Well actually....Co2 is carbon dioxide not monoxide so if you have something resembling carbon monoxide posioning, I would look for other sources, like a leaking gas line to your water heater or something....

Secondly, it is doubtful that 3 gallons of fermenting wine in a 9x11 space is going to generate enough carbon dioxide to push out all the oxygen in the room and give you any flu like symptoms...if it could anyway.

I'd take some vitamins, or something for you porrible cold and flu, and look for any C0 (not co2) leaks.

Not making fun of you man, but this thread made me laugh a lot thanks

Oh and Yooper great new pic :cross:

Back