How much is too much dead space?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
I am building a tun from a 40 qt max cold igloo i had laying around. it has wheels, no drain plug and a curved inside walls. The only way to get the bulkhead to fit in there is to drill the hole about 1.5 inches from the bottom. I plan on using a cpvc manifold. So is my dead space going to be a problem? (And, am I eve using the right german term to describe dead space? :drunk:)

Thank you

No problem. All you have to do is when you are mashing or sparging, just lift one end about 3 inches off the table (stick something under there to hold it) and virtually all your deadspace would be gone.

just add an extra elbow or two and get the CPVC manifold to sit right on the bottom.

I made a somewhat successful attempt at reducing dead space in my system. I have false bottoms in the mash/lauter tun and boil kettle. I went to a craft store and found "flattend" clear marbles to fill in some of the space. These are the things that your wife or GF might put strategically in a bowl on the coffee table. I suppose you could borrow them if that is the case.

I found that the marbles also help reduce hot break as well.

:rockin:

I made a somewhat successful attempt at reducing dead space in my system. I have false bottoms in the mash/lauter tun and boil kettle. I went to a craft store and found "flattend" clear marbles to fill in some of the space. These are the things that your wife or GF might put strategically in a bowl on the coffee table. I suppose you could borrow them if that is the case.

I found that the marbles also help reduce hot break as well.

:rockin:

Sorry to resurrect this thread... but why would you want to reduce hot break? I thought it meant you were gonna have some nice protein junkies etc dropping out in the boiler before transferring.

Back