newbe ?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfish713

Reaction score
I am going to plat 7 - 10 plants this year strung between 2 aprox 20 tall treated 4x4 cemented into the ground aprox 3 feet or so will the 2 be strong enough or will I need more was going to rig a pulley system on both ends to harvest hops will this work never done this before so any input would be great.

I think that the 4x4 will be strong enough to hold them up without any problems. You may still want to consider putting in a pulley system at the top of the posts for easier harvests though. Also, pullies help with rigs that aren't as tall as yours. You can let the vine reach the top of the post and then use the pulley to lower that vine down to allow more growth upwards. The vine that came from the top can simply go along the ground and will still produce flowers when ready.

I think the 4x's will be fine, but the whole system might benefit from some punctuation.

WHAT DI YOU SAY? Longest sentence ever.

+1 on the pulley idea... I did this and it worked well. The cable is a plastic coated wire rope (clothesline) you can get at any Home Depot. I got the pulleys there also.. here's photos of the line up, and at harvest:

harvest1.JPG

see how easy it it for picking....

harvest2.JPG

Back