Fermentation out of control!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
So you'd think after brewing the same recipe 3 times and have the bucket top explode 3 times I'd be smart and start with a blowoff tube... nope! Just as I was checking on it this morning I opened my freezer and a few seconds later, POP!!!! The top of my fermenter blew off! How can I control this crazy fermentation? Temperature isn't an issue as I always crank the freezer down to the mid 50's which keeps ferm temp in the low 60's.

First off, you don't really ever have any "control". It's gonna do what it's gonna do short of freezing the yeast to dormancy.

Yeah. Get bigger buckets or start with a blowoff until the goo drops.

Or better yet, don;t use an airlock and leave the lids loose (gasp, the horror).

I do this and let the vigorous yeast flow over the sides into a bus bin.

Thanks guys. I was hoping there was a magic capsule or something that would eliminate krausen :) When I check on it tonight if it's still going crazy I'll just loosen the lid. My last batch I left that way while it was at peak fermentation and it turned out fine.

Thanks guys. I was hoping there was a magic capsule or something that would eliminate krausen :) When I check on it tonight if it's still going crazy I'll just loosen the lid. My last batch I left that way while it was at peak fermentation and it turned out fine.

mebe try fermcap s foam control.

Back