Anyone in Miami or South Florida?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberChris

Reaction score
I was here scorching my brain studying some Physics with Calculus...and I decided to take a break, and ask if anyone in this forum is located in the Miami area or South Florida?? If so, is there are brewry supply store you buy your stuff from? Or do you just buy of the internet like me?? Im personally tired of having to pay shipping everytime I wanna brew!!!

Oh yeah, and any great brewery in town other than hops, or gordon's ext...?

"Brew on my friends, brew on..." :mug:

I'm from Miami, the best brewpubs I've been to are Titanic Brewery by University of Miami and The Abbey by Miami Beach.

Also the only supply store I've been able to find is Brewmaster Supplies Co. in Davie. I'm not sure about the place because I haven't been, but it seems like your best bet.

Alright Sharpshooter, thanks. Looks like we are the only ones from down here. Thanks for the info.:tank:

I think "From Vines to Wines" or something is down there, too

I'm from Miami, the best brewpubs I've been to are Titanic Brewery by University of Miami and The Abbey by Miami Beach.

Also the only supply store I've been able to find is Brewmaster Supplies Co. in Davie. I'm not sure about the place because I haven't been, but it seems like your best bet.

I'm from miami, I work at UM so I'm a usual at Titanic. Gordon Biersch is good, but you already mentioned that. :p

I stopped by the brewmasters in Davie before, I was disappointed. It's a brew on premise location and they only focus on extract brewing and are way over priced.

Your next bet would be BX Beer depot in Lake Worth.

I mainly get my supplies from AHS.

BX Beer Depot located in Lake Worth is the only full service homebrew supply store in South Florida. We sell all the equipment and ingredients you need to brew. We offer classes twice a month. Please go to our website @www.bxbeerdepot.com or call 561-965-9494. We are closed on Mondays. We can help you out

Very disappointing that there isn't more homebrew shops down south here, sucks to have to pay shipping on everything.

+1 for BX Beer Depot!

They've got the goods!

I love walking in with my little white pail and recipe. They'll fill your grain bill to the oz! Crush it for you if you want...they've got a great selection of hops and yeast...

It's worth the drive! Great people!

Dave here, from BrewBox Miami. We are a new homebrew supply shop/brewing school in the Miami-Dade County area. We carry a full range of equipment and ingredients and offer on-demand classes.

Dave here, from BrewBox Miami. We are a new homebrew supply shop/brewing school in the Miami-Dade County area. We carry a full range of equipment and ingredients and offer on-demand classes.

I've actually went to that address that is on the website and it was a construction company. There were no signs at the front. I've called the phone number listed and no one ever picks up. I left a VM, but no one has called be back with any info.

I'm going to have to say BX Beer Depot is still the only homebrew shop in the South Florida area. BrewBox Miami is kinda shady to me. Unless you live near Orlando, I've had success with Heart's Homebrew.

I've actually went to that address that is on the website and it was a construction company. There were no signs at the front. I've called the phone number listed and no one ever picks up. I left a VM, but no one has called be back with any info.

I'm going to have to say BX Beer Depot is still the only homebrew shop in the South Florida area. BrewBox Miami is kinda shady to me. Unless you live near Orlando, I've had success with Heart's Homebrew.

Sorry you missed us. We were only open Saturdays at the time you probably came by. The telephone number on the website is a cell and one of us usually answers or will return messages within a few minutes. We are now open Tues-Sat 10 to 4, and have FREE classes every Saturday at 11. If you feel like driving 80 miles to BX, knock yourself out. We are here and fully stocked with grain, extract, hops, yeast and equipment.

Sorry you missed us. We were only open Saturdays at the time you probably came by. The telephone number on the website is a cell and one of us usually answers or will return messages within a few minutes. We are now open Tues-Sat 10 to 4, and have FREE classes every Saturday at 11. If you feel like driving 80 miles to BX, knock yourself out. We are here and fully stocked with grain, extract, hops, yeast and equipment.

No I'd rather just order online.

No I'd rather just order online.

For the rest of you, we are here, and open five days a week. We have a full range of grains, from base malt to roasted barley, ground onsite, bulk extract from superlight to dark, a dozen or so hop varieties and WYeast, as well as various equipment items.

I was here scorching my brain studying some Physics with Calculus...and I decided to take a break, and ask if anyone in this forum is located in the Miami area or South Florida?? If so, is there are brewry supply store you buy your stuff from? Or do you just buy of the internet like me?? Im personally tired of having to pay shipping everytime I wanna brew!!!

Oh yeah, and any great brewery in town other than hops, or gordon's ext...?

"Brew on my friends, brew on..." :mug:

I'm over in the Fort Myers area, and we don't have anything over here worth mentioning. I've been thinking about opening a store but I only know one other brewer in this area, and he does wine exclusively right now. There might be a customer base, but I haven't run into any of it yet.

It's probably just me, but that REALLY comes across as snotty. Probably not the impression a new brew store wants to make. I sent an email, asking if they had certain things in stock, to a brew store that I would be about two blocks from because of work. I don't have a LHBS and this store is about 130 miles away. Took them more than two days to get back to me and then they came with the snotty, unhelpful, attitude, something to the effect of: "what kind of brew store would we be if we didn't have those in stock." Even though I needed some things, I refuse to go to that store. Why should I give my money to a store that's going to treat me like crap? That store is there to make a profit, and I'm more than okay with that. But, I'm not going to help someone make a profit if they can't even be nice to me.

I went to college at UM (Go Canes!) and lived there for a year or so afterwards, but I moved recently. I don't know of any brewer supply stores, but I'll give another shoutout to Titanic Brewery. Oh, and make sure to ask about joining the mug club in december!

Wow, certainly didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers here. What I meant to say, instead of what came out, is that BX is a great store - we send callers from North Broward and Palm Beach there all the time, but it is a bit of a drive up there. As a former BX customer, I can attest to that. As for being "shady" and "snotty" and all that, I would like to invite anyone reading this to come on down to the shop and meet us personally and let us know what we can do to improve our customer service, and also to hear from us our views on the homebrewing community in South Florida. We are certainly not in this to "make a buck," but are rather trying to serve a community of people who might want a bit more fellowship out of their homebrewing experience than waiting for a package to arrive. In fact, if you do come by, and mention this forum, we will provide a 10% discount off your whole order. BTW, I didn't join this forum to spam anyone, and this will be my last post promoting the shop. Again, sorry if anyone was offended.

In fact, if you do come by, and mention this forum, we will provide a 10% discount off your whole order. BTW, I didn't join this forum to spam anyone, and this will be my last post promoting the shop. Again, sorry if anyone was offended.

Ah, what a shame. The chance of me driving across the state to try your store is very slim indeed. I would have to combine the trip with a dive trip to Deerfield Beach or something like that. And, that kind of dive trip has not happened in a long time. Damn. No offense taken or meant. I was really looking forward to finding a Not-so-Local HBS so I'm probably touchy about that after I got snubbed by the store I thought I would start giving quite a bit of business too. Thing is, if they had been nice and then returned my email in a fairly timely manner, I'd be stopping in there every week for supplies. It's on the same road, literally two blocks from where I pick up my train.

Ah, what a shame. The chance of me driving across the state to try your store is very slim indeed. I would have to combine the trip with a dive trip to Deerfield Beach or something like that. And, that kind of dive trip has not happened in a long time. Damn. No offense taken or meant. I was really looking forward to finding a Not-so-Local HBS so I'm probably touchy about that after I got snubbed by the store I thought I would start giving quite a bit of business too. Thing is, if they had been nice and then returned my email in a fairly timely manner, I'd be stopping in there every week for supplies. It's on the same road, literally two blocks from where I pick up my train.

I know exactly what you mean. They seriously started off on the wrong foot. Not a good way to start a relationship with your core market.

Hello all. first to say this a great forum and hope to learn a lot. I stopped by today the Brew Box Miami for some beginner tips and lessons. The guy there helped me out and was pretty cool. Sucks you guys had a bad experience...

Thanks for the comment. My prior promise prevents me from saying anything further about the shop, but we definitely appreciate your support.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but it seems that home brewers are few and far between here in South Florida. I am lucky I live about a 5 minute drive from my house to BXBeerDepot. And they are a bunch of nice people. And they have a great selection of craft beers for you while you wait for your grains and other goodies. Been looking for other home brewers in the area myself. And as of yet the only others Ive run into was while I was at the LHBS.

Still don't understand why you would want to go to a "local" brew shop....when most of the local mom and pop shops up north cant even touch the pricing and materials available on the internet. For example I picked up a 7.3 gal Stainless Steel conical fermenter with temp gauge and steel legs plus trilock and valves on eBay for $280 shipped...its gone up a little bit...Closest I could find same high end quality was $500-600. I think I'm gonna stick with "Net" for getting supplies.....I'm in Miami.....BTW.....I'm growing my own Cascade and Centennial rhizomes from freshops.com I'll keep you posted through a new thread on So Fla Hop Growing....

Here's the ebay link for the conical...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CONICAL-FERMENT...329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f93f6ec1

Picazzo-

Brew Box is a good store, i found it a few months ago and have pretty much stopped ordering from online stores. Being able to get fresh yeast that hasnt had to sit in a hot truck for days is great. Also they help with recipes and their suggestions are generally very good. I know as of this week or so they are moving down south a bit, some where around the falls area of south miami.

Still don't understand why you would want to go to a "local" brew shop....when most of the local mom and pop shops up north cant even touch the pricing and materials available on the internet./QUOTE]
I like being able to go to the LHBS and talk to a real person it makes it that much more personal. AND I have had my info stolen over the internet before so I dont buy ANYTHING over the internet. Not going thru all that again.

I was thumbing through the latest BYO and noticed brewbox miami was listed there. I was curious if anybody has been to their new location by the falls. If so how is it?
School is almost done and I'm planning on breaking out my equipment to start brewing during the summer at least a few sessions, would be nice to pick up some ingredients locally for a change.

I know I'm breaking my promise not to promote the shop, but so much has changed since we moved that I thought you might like to know what we have. The new shop is twice the size of the old one and we are now carrying a lot of new items. In addition to six types of extract, fifteen specialty grains, 2-row base malt, twenty-one hop varieties and about ten strains of White Labs yeast, we also have things like Star-San, Idiofor, Whirlfloc, Irish Moss, Campden Tablets, Lactose, Maltodextrin, Flaked Oats and Rice Syrup Solids.

I was thumbing through the latest BYO and noticed brewbox miami was listed there. I was curious if anybody has been to their new location by the falls. If so how is it?
School is almost done and I'm planning on breaking out my equipment to start brewing during the summer at least a few sessions, would be nice to pick up some ingredients locally for a change.

check them out on facebook, they got shots of the new shop and what not, it looks much bigger and nice, although ive yet to go down. Brew Box Miami, search it on FB, its how i found it.

I've been to Brew Box Miami's new shop. They seem to have a good selection and the gentleman who was there was very helpful.

I'm glad there is a local shop in my area.

I went by Brewbox about a week ago and it aint half bad! The best part about them is that you can just run by and pick something up if you need it. I spoke with Dave and he seems like a nice guy. I want to brew a batch to be ready for the true blood season premiere and I need a quick turn around recipe. I heard that hefe's are quick from brew to glass. since I only ordered a lager and an irish ale online with my kit ( I didnt' think about that then), I am going to buy the ingredients there. I'll post the experience afterward.
P.S., does anyone have a suggestion for another fast turn around beer, other than the simple hefe?

Thanks

I was just there on Saturday. They had a brew class is session when I was there...I think they have one every Saturday.

I wasn't there for the class, just picking up ingredients for an IPA.

Dave, the proprietor, is very friendly and is a good source of info. They carry alot of extract and specialty grains. He doesn't have every strain of hop (who does?) but does have a very good variety in stock.

They also have a 'barley crusher' on site and I seem to be getting good efficiency with my grains. Unfortunately, they are the only LHBS I've been to so I don't have any basis for comparison but so far, they have done pretty good by me.

Went by yesterday and talked to David, he was very nice and helped me with selecting grains for a kit he put together for me. I'm still new at this and he was a big help.

They have a good selection of items. Lots of grains and extracts. Deffinetly will go back!!!

Still don't understand why you would want to go to a "local" brew shop....when most of the local mom and pop shops up north cant even touch the pricing and materials available on the internet. For example I picked up a 7.3 gal Stainless Steel conical fermenter with temp gauge and steel legs plus trilock and valves on eBay for $280 shipped...its gone up a little bit...Closest I could find same high end quality was $500-600. I think I'm gonna stick with "Net" for getting supplies.....I'm in Miami.....BTW.....I'm growing my own Cascade and Centennial rhizomes from freshops.com I'll keep you posted through a new thread on So Fla Hop Growing....

Here's the ebay link for the conical...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CONICAL-FERMENT...329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f93f6ec1

Picazzo-

I don't know if I'm ressurecting a dead thread or not... but this kind of caught me off guard.

Being that I work at a homebrew shop, I see this argument a lot. Yes, we will never offer prices even close to online, and our standing stock might not be as diverse as online warehouse stores.

So why would you shop at a local store? Customer service, seeing your product in person to guarantee freshness, prices sometimes compare to the big dogs after shipping is removed, and you get to meet and speak to other local brewers.

Those are reasons for customers, but my very biased opinion on local vs online is this. LHBS pays a lot of overhead to stay in business. We can't order in warehouse quantities. But we are ALWAYS available for last minute purchases. We also tend to be involved with the local homebrew community, and support it via clubs and brewing educational events, and sponsoring group brews. We are also another testament to the wallmart vs local grocer argument. When you order from wally-world online, you save some money, but your local businesses may struggle due to loss of sales, and ultimately shut down- forcing you to 'only' order online even in emergencies. It also does a little damage to local economy. Though this isn't important to everybody by any means.

To me, it is always a little upsetting to see this argument knowing this could be the customer who will spend an hour of my time pricing every single grain and airlock they need for an emergency $15.00 purchase, and complain about the price difference from online, though I'm not saying you are- I've just had a lot run-ins with..

.(MY YEAST ARRIVED DEAD FROM UPS, I NEED THE LAST OF YOUR WYEAST 1272, and HOW DARE YOU CHARGE ME 2 DOLLARS MORE THAN NB).

The dollar is all powerful, but being that I work for a small business that strives to serve our customers as best as possible, I like to keep my money local. When I buy fruits and produce, I shop organic and local and look for quality, when I purchase meats I go to my local butcher and pay the extra $3.00.

This is just my perspective on things, I'm not a business owner, just a hourly part timer. I feel like supporting local businesses is a choice we all have to weigh out a little more carefully than 'oh I can say a few bucks by going online'. My customers all know our prices aren't king, but we do the best we can do to accommodate them via bulk orders and customer rewards; and I guarantee any local business respects and greatly appreciates loyal customers more than any large-scale company ever will.

Hopefully I don't sound like I'm preaching here, and I'm sorry if I do. Just keep us small guys in mind the next time you do an order, we are here for you when you have a last minute yeast starter or need emergency advice, in our rough economy we appreciate those of you who support us as well!

Also, seeing that you are in Miami, and knowing how sparse things are in South Florida... I can't really blame you. Hopefully we can expand our presence one day and change your mind.

Nice try, John, but things are anything but sparse down here in Miami. I do, however, agree with almost everything else you have said. BTW, I sent you a customer the other day.

Back