Chlorine Dioxide Tablets - Yeast collecting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircleC-Brewer

Reaction score
About to give collecting some yeast for re-pitching a try. Read the following about Chlorine Dioxide Tablets. Has anyone tried this before?

======================
The primary advantages of chlorine dioxide are that it can destroy the tougher spoilers without compromising the yeast's viability, and is safer to handle.

To use, collect slurry from the fermenter, add cool sterilized water to approximately double the volume, swirl vigorously, and then allow trub to separate. Decant the top (yeast) layer into a sanitized flask, add one crushed chlorine dioxide tablet to the yeast layer, and top up with more cool sterile water to bring the volume to 1 liter. Allow to rest for several hours, then decant the clear top layer. The yeast can then be directly pitched into a new batch.

featured-chlorine-med.jpg

Northern Brewer has the best deal. REI also sells them. You might want to check with your LHBS. I will also post my results. Good luck.

Circle C Brewer

Hey guys, any results on how well this stuff works?

I wonder if a good test would be to 'infect' some yeast slurry with lacto, use this stuff and see if the resulting beer (maybe cheap 1 gallon test batch?) gets sour or not.

Back