Porter and Imperial Oatmeal Stout Nail Polish Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Recently (since beginning brewing myself) I have noticed that most of the porters and stouts that I loved, are rather sweet. Sickly almost sometimes. And I really really don't like it. In fact it has turned one of my favorite porters into a beer I would rather not drink.

Recently I had an Imperial Oatmeal Stout from Boundary Bay Brewing in Washington and thought that it was really sweet as well. Is this because of the alcohol, final gravity and lack of hops? It was what I used to call malty (which I appreciate) though now I would just call it sweet. I know there are dry stouts and not dry stouts, but I have never been a style nerd and so haven't tasted the difference. I have enjoyed a large variety of beers from around the world, though not placed them in a style category.

Last is that I have noticed in a couple an almost nail polish smell and taste. I have made wine for a while and that isn't something wanted. In beer is it alright? Is that what oxidized beer tastes like?

Nail polish smell is just hot alcohol. This can happen when you ferment too high, or in a very high gravity beer. Just like in wine, hot alcohols are not wanted. Keep your fermentaton temperatures below 75 (preferably at or below 70) and you will be fine.

Sorry I think I didn't explain well enough. It is in commercial beers which I found delicious prior to brewing that I no longer enjoy as much. Why is it that so many of the commercial porters that I am drinking are sweet, as are the stouts and why would they smell of nail polinsh?

Back