Rhizome Exchange Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBREWDOG

Reaction score
Hey All,
I have perused many different forumns for many different topics over the years and have noticed that some of the gardening forums have exchanges where you can exchange different varieties of plants. I think it would be an awesome way for us to exchange our precious hops. It sure would be an easy way to gain new strains.

Rhizomes are easy to collect in the spring of the year. You would need to collect them package and ship them soon after they appear in March in most temperate zones.

So I'll start this off...

I have a Heriloom Variety of Bittering hops to offer up. It's a nice starter hops for bittering. I do not know the variety. My guess is that it was planted during the prohibition days. It has a high Alpha Acid content and produces loads of good cones with lots of Lupulin. It's mold resistant and grows in northern climates. That's about all I can say about it.

I would be willing to trade rhizomes off of it for rhizomes off of any other varietys or pay a nominal fee for them. I am willing to ship a sample of the hops flowers from this years harvest to those interested.

Anyhow I figured we could try and keep this going and see what comes of it.

Cheers :mug:

Joe

What area of the country are you in? We might be able to hazard a guess where you are based on your geography.

Alas, WA prohibits the import of Rhizomes... Otherwise I'd be happy to purchase a couple from you.

I'm still trying to find a local, WA, supply. my local HB stores aren't all that great, I may have to go to the big city.

On almost the same subject - I have 5 friends that are willing to grow 5 different strains of Hops. How or where is the best way to GET Rhizomes. Can I order them somewhere? Is there a place where Home Brewers go?

I got mine for the Thyme Garden,Thyme Garden Herb Company organically grown herbs, herb seeds, plants, and hops. I was well pleased with the price and quality of plants. I know there are several other suppliers.

You will not be able to get any until March or April, because the plant is dormant and they should not be dug up now.

I would be interested, except this will be only their second year. I do not think it would be very good on their limited root complex right now.

I would be in on this for 2010, my plants are also only one year old and I've ready I shouldn't try to harvest rhizomes this upcoming year.

I'll have to figure out which hops I want between now and march, and then I'll take a ride out there (beautiful spot - well worth the visit if you're in the area) and pick em up myself ;-)

I got mine for the Thyme Garden,Thyme Garden Herb Company organically grown herbs, herb seeds, plants, and hops. I was well pleased with the price and quality of plants. I know there are several other suppliers.

You will not be able to get any until March or April, because the plant is dormant and they should not be dug up now.

I would be interested, except this will be only their second year. I do not think it would be very good on their limited root complex right now.

Glad to finally get some interest in this thread. I actually have access to some other strains here growing on campus. Yes they actually have labelled known varieties. ;-)

It would be nice to get something like this seeded now and start a yearly trade (where legally accepted).

What they don't know.... :p

This is not really a joking matter. Plant quarantines are VERY important. Citrus canker in Florida was 99.9% likely to have come in from a plant that someone smuggled in from Asia and planted it in their backyard. 87,000 acres of commercial citrus groves have been removed so far to try to irradicate it. Ask any Florida citrus grower what they think of people smuggling plants in and what they'd like to do to those who are caught.

Chestnut blight and Dutch Elm disease arrived on our shores over a hundred years ago on infected materials before there were regulations. It is extremely rare to find a wild Chestnut or American Elm tree. They've been almost wiped out.

The import ban is to prevent a similar problem for hops. Do you really want to take a chance at being the person who brought in a diseased plant (or new insect) that then spreads and cripples the WA hop industry? Epidemiologist are pretty good at tracking down the origin of new infections/pest.

Amen to that... a friend of mine is a taxidermist that went into business with a friend of his (NOT ME) raising trophy whitetails. Instead, they were responsible for importing Chronic Wasting Disease to our area, and it's here to stay. Same deal applies to plants.

Don't do it. Besides the law, I'd wager that there would be some on this forum that would be eager to make you disappear for doing it.

Don't do it. Besides the law, I'd wager that there would be some on this forum that would be eager to make you disappear for doing it.

Do I hear black helicopters?

Anyway, no it's not a good idea to import unknown plants. Purchasing from a dealer is another thing. they have state and federal oversight. My guess is you could research hop disease and really not find too much that is going to be a danger to existing crops. There is plenty of research out there in dealing with hop disease problems. WA may have a ban on imports to simply protect costly hybrid strains from blending with wild or unknown varieties. Just my opinion....no proof to offer.

I think this forum had a pretty extensive exchange set up this past spring. I had just ordered my first rhizomes at the time, so I wasn't paying too much attention.

Alas, WA prohibits the import of Rhizomes... Otherwise I'd be happy to purchase a couple from you.

I'm still trying to find a local, WA, supply. my local HB stores aren't all that great, I may have to go to the big city.

Try HopUnion - they're in the Yakima area - they should be able to put you onto someone who sells rhizomes in Washington.

509-574-5139

I'd be up for trading with someone around the Ohio area. The only problem is that I have Cascade and that's probably what everybody has around here...

I'm in Cleveland, and yeah, I already have Cascade. I've also got Mt Hood and Willamette. Put them both in last spring, so I don't know if they'll really be ready to have rhizomes snipped off yet this spring or not.

On almost the same subject - I have 5 friends that are willing to grow 5 different strains of Hops. How or where is the best way to GET Rhizomes. Can I order them somewhere? Is there a place where Home Brewers go?

Freshhops is where i bought my rhizomes a couple years ago. They have a great selection and good prices. In addition you can pick up some cones with your order and they have some good information about growing hops and the differences in the varieties.

Several other online HBSes will be taking orders for rhizomes starting in late winter.

I have a Cascades, Willamette, Centennial, and Chinook plants growing in my hop garden. I'm not looking to expand right now but may be willing to trade rhizomes for cones from other varieties. I would even consider giving some away for the cost of shipping. However I've never harvested rhizomes before so I can't guarantee they would be successful, nor even guarantee that I could harvest them at the correct time, as the hops are at my parents place which is an hour drive from home.

Craig

Freshhops is where i bought my rhizomes a couple years ago. They have a great selection and good prices. In addition you can pick up some cones with your order and they have some good information about growing hops and the differences in the varieties.

Several other online HBSes will be taking orders for rhizomes starting in late winter.

I have a Cascades, Willamette, Centennial, and Chinook plants growing in my hop garden. I'm not looking to expand right now but may be willing to trade rhizomes for cones from other varieties. I would even consider giving some away for the cost of shipping. However I've never harvested rhizomes before so I can't guarantee they would be successful, nor even guarantee that I could harvest them at the correct time, as the hops are at my parents place which is an hour drive from home.

Craig

As a fellow Steeler fan stuck in Cleveland let me first say that Sunday night ROCKED!

And oh yeah, I will take you up on some freebies. Maybe we can touch base this spring...

As a fellow Steeler fan stuck in Cleveland let me first say that Sunday night ROCKED!

And oh yeah, I will take you up on some freebies. Maybe we can touch base this spring...

That game sure did. I can't remember the last time I was so fired up during a game. Lets hope this week is even better.

As for the rhizomes, send me a PM, I'll try to see when and how I should harvest. The rhizomes are usually under a pile of snow in the heart of the snow belt, so i won't see them until spring.

Craig

Hey all,
It's been a while since I've been on the forums... I see that this thread has seen some good action. I would like to mention that maybe we should stick to exchanges within everyones given states. I am a forestry student here in Montana and know all too well about disease and transmission. I just didn't put 2 and 2 together with hops. But we must keep that in mind. I know mold resistance and aphids are a huge concern with the Washington folks. As far as importation into WA is concerned... I was told that it must be certifed kiln dried in order to enter the state.

Anyhow, we'll have to keep this running into spring and see how things go. Until then, drink some homebrew and enjoy the winter!

Cheers,

Joe :mug:

I'm in California. I really want some Tettnanger rhizomes. Any noble hop, or golding would be great.

I got 12 nugget cuttings, 2 zeus cuttings, 2 chinook cuttings, and 1 mt. hood cutting in the ground. I'll see if they have grown properly to grow into a new plant because I want too sell/trade them.

I have 6 nugget rhizomes from last year in the ground. The roots are massive. I would like to get rid of most of them. The yield from one hill gives me plenty of nugget hops.

I'd like to trade instead of having to buy the noble hop rhizome, especially if its already been in the ground for a year like my nugget hops have.

Here is what I have already, I believe it will continue to grow in variety.

1 chinook
1 cascade
1 kent golding
1 hallertauer
1 n. brewer
1 mt. hood
1 fuggle
1 zeus
6 nugget

Very nice Stout Man! Looks like you've been doing this for a while. :D

The hops I have is very similar to Tettnanger. I don't know exactly what variety it is but it smells and tastes very similar. I'm trying to get an Alpha Acid test done on it here before things warm up. It seems like it has a greater alpha acid content than the Tettnanger I have used. So far I've used it to brew a Wee Heavy that was very good. Any how it's definatley an herloom variety and its definately worth trying. I can send some to whomever is interested in trade.

Cheers :mug:

Joe Gill
Missoula, MT

I'd like to trade for or buy some rhizomes. I have a small commercial? hop farm in MI (someday I might break even). I've decided to grow only aroma and dual purpose hops. I have 9 yearling Magnum plants and a number of Cascade rhizomes to trade. I've been looking on-line & have found no sources for most of the ones I'm looking for. I need 6 to 12 of any of the following: Canadian Red Vine, Crystal, Cluster (Late Cluster), Liberty, Progress, Sunbeam, Tettnanger, Ultra & Willamette. I'd like to buy them if you're not in need of what I have. Being commercial, I can't use anything that is not positively identified.
Thanks,
Steve

Awesome Steve!! We'll keep this list growing. I think if we give this thing a month or so people are going to really start thinking about this seasons garden. Stay with it and hopefully something will come about for you. Otherwise I'm sure people will be interested in trading / buying what you've got to offer. Thanks!

Cheers,

Joe :mug:

I've got Hallertauer, Glacier, and Sterling Rhizomes, I'm interested in trading for Zeus, magnum, nugget, cascade, Mt. hood or northern brewer.

thanks,
Kai

I have Cascade and Fuggles rhizomes for trade. I'm looking for Liberty, Perle, or high Alpha hop (other than Nugget).

Thanks again all who have participated.

Please let me know how this worked out. Maybe they can sticky this if it worked well.

I will be getting some new known strains here right quick. Unfortunately I won't be able to get anything in the ground until June due to the frozen ground around here. LOL I haven't even been able to get any rhizomes collected from my unknown strain to send out to folks... Will keep ya posted!

Cheers :mugs:,

Joe

does anyone have some to donate for this year? i should have some Zeus and Brewer's Gold for next spring, but would love to add some more this year if anyone is sharing.

does anyone have some to donate for this year? i should have some Zeus and Brewer's Gold for next spring, but would love to add some more this year if anyone is sharing.

I have some hallertauer that I might have to trade, if I get off my lazy butt and get out there. They are just starting to send shoots, but some of the rhizomes seem to be coming out of the ground so I may have some. I'll post back, if I actually do anything with them.

I have some I could send out. I actually may have a few full crowns that I don't want anymore, that'd probably need to be given away locally.

I think I have
Willamette
Fuggle
Hallertau
Kent Golding - rhizomes or whole thing
Nugget - rhizomes or whole thing
(I'll have to look at my garden map)

I have some hallertauer that I might have to trade, if I get off my lazy butt and get out there. They are just starting to send shoots, but some of the rhizomes seem to be coming out of the ground so I may have some. I'll post back, if I actually do anything with them.

PM me if you are interested in a trade. my zeus and brewer's gold just went in the ground last night, but i am planning on propigating them all over the place this fall/next spring. i will be starting a thread detailing them growing in containers.

I have some I could send out. I actually may have a few full crowns that I don't want anymore, that'd probably need to be given away locally.

I think I have
Willamette
Fuggle
Hallertau
Kent Golding - rhizomes or whole thing
Nugget - rhizomes or whole thing
(I'll have to look at my garden map)

anything would be awesome and i would owe you when i make my rhizomes.

PM me if you are interested in a trade. my zeus and brewer's gold just went in the ground last night, but i am planning on propigating them all over the place this fall/next spring. i will be starting a thread detailing them growing in containers.

I have Cascade, Nugget, and Centennial in containers. The Centennial was planted very late, but I just hope to get some good sprouts next year. It is only about five feet tall now, but the rest have hit the top of a ten foot trellis and started going sideways (because I stopped lowering the supporting twine - it was getting too much of a hassle).
2351129140074286987S425x425Q85.jpg

This was in late May. The one on the left is producing cones now, and is much bigger.

I will have Cascades,Chinooks,Nugget and Willamette starting in March coloradoorganichops.net Cheers Glen

Latest posts

Back