cotes de blanc yeast or champagne?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean from New Hampshire

Reaction score
I have a gallon of pressed cider from my local apple orchard, and 1 packets of cotes de blanc yeast and 1 packet of champagne yeast. Any chances I can get a good cider out of this? Any advice?

Sean

Sure you are. I use Cotes des Blanc all the time. It does ferment out very dry. Whether or not it is good is going to depend on what your taste is and what your looking for. Go ahead and do it. If it is to dry you can always backsweeten it. I would also suggest campden tablets, pectin enzyme, and a hydrometer.

For cider I recommend beer yeast. Wine yeast will ferment everything. Cote des Blanc will be dry for beer but a little sweet for wine. Champagne will be way too dry. Beer yeast will still be crisp but just a hint of sweetness like beer. Much better results. Nottingham will do.

Forrest

For cider I recommend beer yeast. Wine yeast will ferment everything. Cote des Blanc will be dry for beer but a little sweet for wine. Champagne will be way too dry. Beer yeast will still be crisp but just a hint of sweetness like beer. Much better results. Nottingham will do.

Forrest

I will Let ya know what I think about that! I have Notty in a batch of fresh pressed apple juice right now. It just stopped bubbling today.
:D

Thanks everyone! I'm having a hard time getting to my Local Home brew place, but I'm itching to ferment something! Guess I should hold off just a little for qualities sake...

Sean From NH

I have used Cotes De Blanc in a lot of batches and it does make a good hard cider but my last batch I used some US-04 and the results were very nice. There is still quite a bit of residual sweetness, cotes de blanc always left my ciders with a floral quality rather than a generic sweetness. The US-04 is more of a sweet flavor with some apple still left in the nose.

i used cotes de blanc myself. took a hydro reading on the 10th day and it went form 1.070 to 1.002. tasted like champagne though with i little apple flavor. next time ill use nottingham.

Latest posts

Back