Corny vs firestone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have a couple old Firestone kegs, and one major difference is the pressure relief valves. I had to replace one, and I simply could not find one. At least with my keg, there was no piece welded to the lid for a standard relief valve to fit into; the lid itself just had a hole, and the valve was two pieces of plastic on either side.

If you've got a choice between cornie and Firestone, go with cornie simply because of the much greater availability of parts.

the_bird said:
If you've got a choice between cornie and Firestone, go with cornie simply because of the much greater availability of parts.

+1. Also stick with one kind, ie; Ball Lock, so you don't have to have different connectors. I use only Ball Lock and they work great if you clean them in between uses.

the_bird said:
Well, I have a couple old Firestone kegs, and one major difference is the pressure relief valves. I had to replace one, and I simply could not find one. At least with my keg, there was no piece welded to the lid for a standard relief valve to fit into; the lid itself just had a hole, and the valve was two pieces of plastic on either side.

I have two firestone ball locks with the plastic pressure relief valves. Fortunately mine still work well. If or when they start to leak, I plan on simply removing them and somehow plugging the hole in the lid. You don't really need them given the low keg pressures we are dealing with serving and force carbing beer. I'll just use a small screw driver to depress the "in poppet" when de-pressurizing.

I can't see buying a replacement pressure relief valve that costs more than the keg itself.

Cookiebaggs said:
I have two firestone ball locks with the plastic pressure relief valves. Fortunately mine still work well. If or when they start to leak, I plan on simply removing them and somehow plugging the hole in the lid. You don't really need them given the low keg pressures we are dealing with serving and force carbing beer. I'll just use a small screw driver to depress the "in poppet" when de-pressurizing.

I can't see buying a replacement pressure relief valve that costs more than the keg itself.

I *did* want to have a pressure relief valve, so I ended up buying a replacement (used) lid that, after shipping, cost me just about as much as the keg did! I now have a lid with a clean hole in it... a hole that would fit an airlock and a stopper very nicely. ;) So, I'm thinking that I can use it as a secondary.

the_bird said:
I *did* want to have a pressure relief valve, so I ended up buying a replacement (used) lid that, after shipping, cost me just about as much as the keg did! I now have a lid with a clean hole in it... a hole that would fit an airlock and a stopper very nicely. ;) So, I'm thinking that I can use it as a secondary.

Thats the problem with buying used kegs for cheap..if you need to replace any major parts like lid or posts u end up spending more than u first did. I have a few firestone..plastic relief works on both for now.

J

Back