Help! Stopper keeps slipping out top of carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballardinho

Reaction score
This May or may not be an emergency! Just racked/dry hopped to secondary. The stopper w/ airlock I put in...which came with kit...keeps slipping out, albeit very slowly. Almost to the point where it's just resting on top?

What to do????

Not sure if it's the fit, or the slippery factor, or what...just don't want my first batch to be ruined.

Any quick thoughts?

Quick thought is.... Starsan on the stopper will do that. at least for me. I try to let mine dry a few minutes before i put it in the carboy. I'm a noob, but that my experience and what I read.
Tom

Not an emergency. Just sanitize your stopper and let it sit, then shove it in dry ;) Your brew contains alcohol which will kill anything trying to invade.

Hahaha!!
That happened to me about 6 months ago on something I am bulk aging. It really pissed me off. Here was my solution:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403675017.557775.jpg

Good luck!

Thanks, all. Man...I would hate to get so close to finishing first batch and have something like this ruin it.

If nothing else, it certainly lets me know to side with the NO SECONDARY faction. It seemed like the right thing to do with dry hopping, but I think my 2nd batch I will just dry hop in primary to avoid any troubles in transferring. Not worth it!!

Thank you all for quick replies. Let's hope it sticks!

You may have the wrong size stopper. Next trip to you LHBS, I would pick up the correct stopper, but the gheto-rigging works too :)

I hated this problem, so I bought several of the orange carboy caps that slip on the outside- works much better in my opinon! ALso works on glass and better Bottles, so it's much more interchangeable.

Glass carboy + those off white rubber stoppers + StarSan = Impossible to fix in place.

I moved the ridged grey plastic ones that are typically associated with Better Bottles. The #7 are much deeper and seem to stay put just fine in the glass carboys, even when they a little slick.

Oh, and eventually, I just gave up and wiped the drilled bung/opening down with a dry paper towel. The beer never directly touches it anyway so I figure the chance for infection was pretty small. No unintentionally infected batches to speak off.

The ghetto-rig is awesome but I now only buy universal stoppers. Wet or dry they sit in very well in all of my better bottles (or bubbler brand).

My solution is once you're done sanitizing the stopper, shake it a few times, put it in place and hold it in place for like a min and it will stay put.

At least for me it does. :p

That happens all the time!

Just take a clean paper towel, and dry the stopper, and dry the inside of the carboy neck, and once it's dry the stopper will stay put.

^^This^^

Although, I sometimes secure it with white hockey tape since I'm paranoid. Stoppers/caps with one gallon jugs have proven to be a PITA.

I hated this problem, so I bought several of the orange carboy caps that slip on the outside- works much better in my opinon! ALso works on glass and better Bottles, so it's much more interchangeable.

THIS seems like the only real way to do it. Next time I'm in the LHBS I'm going to pick up a couple of these.

The stoppers that they say won't slip do btw.

In the past I've turned to that fix-all tool: duct tape.

Over the outside, of course.

Sometimes I will jam the stopper down without the airlock in it and once stuffed down then I'll put the airlock in. This way just lets the bung compress more before inserting airlock.
Like Yooper said though, its easy to dry both parts and your off to the races:mug:

Sometimes I will jam the stopper down without the airlock in it and once stuffed down then I'll put the airlock in. This way just lets the bung compress more before inserting airlock.
Like Yooper said though, its easy to dry both parts and your off to the races:mug:

I just never liked cleaning and sanitizing something, then rubbing it off with potentially dirty paper towels. Makes more sense to be able to just clean and sanitize an orange cap and pop it on- never need to worry about it again- they're also useable with blowoff tubes, and when you're done with the blowoff, just pop an airlock in there- no need to even remove the orange cap.

I just grab some safety wire, wrap it around the neck and over the top, and call it good. Problem. Solved.

I have read some concerns about the blowoff tube getting clogged and then the carboy blowing up. Never had that happen. Figure if it does, that beer just wasn't meant to be. :cross:

Giving a Green Tea IIPA a go in this bad boy which is bubbling away in my fermentation chamber as I type.....

image.jpg

Paper towel is also what I do as well, never had any issues and it takes like 10 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use a small zip tie , thread it through the handle, over the stopper and lighty tighten it....works every time!!!!

Back