Help with wiring my elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefost

Reaction score
I'm planning out the basic wiring of my new electric rig and could use some help!

My setup will utilize 3 120V 1500W elements connected to 3 separate 20A breakers (actually it will use 5, but only 3 at a time - lets keep this simple for now). The distance from the outlets will be 50ft, 50ft, and 100ft.

Here's a quick drawing of what I had in mind for the cheapest safe setup, but could really use your input before I burn my apartment down =)

Electricity.jpg

your 110 foot run with 14 gauge wire drawing 1500 watts maybe too much draw

I woulld have to check a calculator to be sure

12 more then likely would be better

and on the 50 foot run maybe use the 14

all the best

S_M

20 amp circuit needs 12 ga wire as a minimum. You want the heating to happen in the elements not the wire.

Thanks, I will definitely up the cable gauge

20 amp circuit needs 12 ga wire as a minimum. You want the heating to happen in the elements not the wire.

Is there a reason why I'd want 12 gauge instead of 14 gauge for the 50ft extension cords? Both cords would be rated to 15A 1875 watts, so I'm not sure why 12 gauge would be an improvement for this length.

here is the easy answer, thinner the wire the more resistance the thicker the wire less resistance

over a 50 foot or a 100 foot run you have more power loss with a thinner wire

when you pull lots of power over an extension cord an it fells hot to the touch that is resistance

1500 watts at 110 volts is about 14 amp so you are maxing you wire out

a 15 amp rated wire is better using 10 amps, me when I want to run something drawing 14 amps on 110 with a 100 foot cord I use a 10 gauge extension cord

the advice given is for safety, burning your place to the ground to brew beer would suck ass

good luck and be safe

S_M

Thanks NY and agreed, I want to be as safe as possible here =)

I think I see where my confusion is. Both 12 gauge and 14 gauge extension cords are rated to 15A because they use a NEMA 5-15 connector, which is the limiting factor. If I'm getting close to 15A, is it particularly important safety-wise to use a 20A NEMA 5-20 connector instead? If it is I suppose I could chop off the ends of some 12 gauge extension cords and install 5-20 connectors.

If it is I suppose I could chop off the ends of some 12 gauge extension cords and install 5-20 connectors.

buy wire and build yous own cords they will be much better

those cheap cords are junk, every time you plug something in you add more resistance

if you can, then you can have the connectors you want/need

all the best

S_M

owever, I would bet your male AC connector is rated for only 15.

Just got home and checked my sockets, they are NEMA 5-15 style. My breakers are definitely 20A though, so Im not sure what the deal is there. I'm definitely limited to 1500W then.

Last edited by a moderator:
how would a strain relief change anything ?

He must be referring to hard-wiring the power cord into the control panel with a strain relief, rather than using an inlet receptacle. Otherwise, I'm stumped. :)

He must be referring to hard-wiring the power cord into the control panel with a strain relief, rather than using an inlet receptacle. Otherwise, I'm stumped. :)

This. If anyone has found a 20A inlet receptacle, I'd like to know where.

Thanks all, was able to get some 12 gauge cable I think will work out well

This. If anyone has found a 20A inlet receptacle, I'd like to know where.

How many poles, how many wires, grounded or not? 120v or 240v? There are options out there, depending upon what you are seeking (NEMA and non-NEMA inlets, Neutrik Powercons, etc.)

Back