Birthday Gift Help for my Brewer Boyfriend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewersgf

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

My boyfriend just started brewing a little over a month ago. He bought all the supplies he needs for brewing and has already successfully brewed a clone of Zombie Dust (three Floyd's). His birthday is coming up and I wanted to get him a gift to help him continue with this hobby. Since he already has the basic supplies, I am in need if help for ideas! Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks all!

Gift certificate to local home brew shop or online store.Got one last year and it made me very happy.Maybe throw in a nice glass set or something.

Gift cards to the homebrew shop where he gets his grains/extract and hops. Best present I ever get and I usually ask everyone for it for every occasion. I just spent my own money ($20) this year on brewing. I think its the best present unless he specifically is asking for something he wants. Some people think gift cards are cheesy but you know your boyfriend, not us...judge for yourself.

Having the ability to brew for "free" for a few month is amazing, in my opinion.

Here's my two cents:

Pretty much every brewer could use a chest freezer or mini fridge if he doesn't already have one. If he has the garage space for it and you have around $100-150 to spend on him I think you can't go wrong.

If you want to go a little smaller, he probably doesn't have an oxygenation system. I've heard good things about the one from Williams Brewing: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-OXYGEN-AERATION-SYSTEM-P699.aspx (make sure he doesn't already have an oxygen system first)

A CO2 tank and regulator is also a great multi-purpose tool for brewing. He can use it now for purging his carboys and bottles, and racking under CO2; it's also 50% of the cost of a basic kegging system if he wants to go that route later on. Expect around $150 for the pair at your local brewing shop.

A gift card to the brewing supply shop he visits is also always appreciated (although gift cards are kind of a cop-out as a gift for your SO)

To explain further, personally I think that (especially for a significant other) a gift card is a nice thing, but once he's spent it on supplies it is finished. If you get him a nice piece of kit that he'll use every time he brews, he'll always think of how you got it for him on each brew day for years to come.

All of these are great suggestions - but if he's got all that stuff and a decent size place, you might think about getting a multi-line beer tower for his home bar. ;)

If you want to get him a couple things, here are some upgraded items that I bought after getting the beginner's kit. I feel like I can't live without any of them now:

Links are to Midwest, but you can buy from any number of outlets. Make sure to shop around for price.

Copper immersion chiller: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-equipment/wort-chillers/immersion.html
Bottle tree: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/45-bottle-drying-tree.html
Auto-siphon: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/1-2-auto-siphon.html
Vinator: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bottle-rinser-sulfiter.html
Stir plate: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-vortex-stir-plate-2-0.html
Erlenmeyer flask: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/2000-ml-flask.html

Here's my two cents:

Pretty much every brewer could use a chest freezer or mini fridge if he doesn't already have one. If he has the garage space for it and you have around $100-150 to spend on him I think you can't go wrong.

If you want to go a little smaller, he probably doesn't have an oxygenation system. I've heard good things about the one from Williams Brewing: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-OXYGEN-AERATION-SYSTEM-P699.aspx (make sure he doesn't already have an oxygen system first)

A CO2 tank and regulator is also a great multi-purpose tool for brewing. He can use it now for purging his carboys and bottles, and racking under CO2; it's also 50% of the cost of a basic kegging system if he wants to go that route later on. Expect around $150 for the pair at your local brewing shop.

A gift card to the brewing supply shop he visits is also always appreciated (although gift cards are kind of a cop-out as a gift for your SO)

Cop out in what fashion??Its not a gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond.Plus it gives the SO some time to drool at all the toys at the LHBS.

Cop out in what fashion??Its not a gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond.Plus it gives the SO some time to drool at all the toys at the LHBS.

It would also likely cause him to buy things he otherwise wouldn't buy.

Thanks for the advice! He is planning on building himself a keezer at some point so I dont to want to get him a mini fridge. I don't believe he has a CO2 tank and regulator ... Is there anything special I need to know about them to buy one? Or maybe I'll just look into the gift card idea... Thanks!

Another vote for the Williams oxygenation system. It works great and the design is really easy to use.

Does he have a membership to HBT? If not, get him a year subscription.

Thanks for the advice! He is planning on building himself a keezer at some point so I dont to want to get him a mini fridge. I don't believe he has a CO2 tank and regulator ... Is there anything special I need to know about them to buy one? Or maybe I'll just look into the gift card idea... Thanks!

Just make sure if you get that, that you include some kegs! These are a great price and they ship for $8!

http://www.kegconnection.com/

If he's planning on building a keezer then getting him a kegging setup (or part of one) is an awesome idea. Birdman Brewing has a very nice set for $215 shipped, which is a little outside your range but you can pare it down a little by subbing in a less nice regulator.

My lady's buying me a kegging kit for my birthday tomorrow. She asked me for advice, though, because she didn't want to get the wrong thing... and I don't mind that at all. She's a considerate woman who is much better at making me happy than I probably deserve, ruined surprise be damned.

Also, you are an awesome GF for taking your time to check with fellow brewers. Whatever you get him I know he will like. I love getting brewing stuff for gifts!

I would go with the gift card. There are so many different ways to customize all this brewing equipment and setups, he may have something in his mind that he plans on doing that may not match up with a certain piece of equipment that you purchase for him. It's a nice gesture either way.

I would go with the gift card. There are so many different ways to customize all this brewing equipment and setups, he may have something in his mind that he plans on doing that may not match up with a certain piece of equipment that you purchase for him. It's a nice gesture either way.

True.

If she knows he wants a keezer part of a kegging setup like a CO2 tank and regulator would be great.

Or even buy him some Perlick 525SS taps, having those around would put a fire under his butt to build something. You cant stare at those beauties that long without wanting to put them into use.

I agree with the gift card. He knows best what he wants to add to his system. Just put it in a nice card with the proper thoughts for the occasion. And maybe some good craft beer to go with a good meal,&...;)

If he's the typical addicted home brewer, he's going to love anything you get him that has to do with brewing. Because it has to do with brewing and it comes from you. He'll appreciate your support of his hobby.

I vote for the gift card. With the gift card he gets the fun of trying to decide how to spend it. He'll be like a kid in a candy store with a couple hundred bucks in his pocket

finsfan said:
Also, you are an awesome GF for taking your time to check with fellow brewers. Whatever you get him I know he will like. I love getting brewing stuff for gifts!

I agree with this. I'm also new to this brewing thing too and if I got a gift card to a brew shop I'd be stoked. If he's in a similar position as I am, he's thinking of equipment to get or upgrade and supplies to get for brew recipes. I'd say it's a good idea. I also agree with the nice glass set if he doesn't have one yet

<disclaimer>I hate gift cards</disclaimer>

1. A beer book that he can get signed when you two visit breweries, and offer to take him on a trip
2. Be an awesome helper on brew day, buy ingredients for brew day, and a 6-pack of micro
3. Give his bottling wand a good polish so he doesn't have to do it himself
4. All or some of the above

Could buy him an American homebrew Association membership, or a BYO subscription...

If he's going to be building a keezer, I'm sure he'd be super pleased with some Perlick 525SS beer faucets. Those are the primo faucets. They'll last him a lifetime. You can get them at quite a few different online vendors. Amazon, Kegconnection, williams brewing, Kegworks...just do a search for "Perlick 525SS" and you'll find some. About $40 each.

Could buy him an American homebrew Association membership, or a BYO subscription...

Wow... you are all very helpful! Thank you!!

Can you tell me what you get from these subscriptions that you can't get from the free forums or from just searching online?

I like the idea of the keg kit for the keezer, but there are so many options from the birdman brewing website alone that I wouldn't want to get the wrong thing, especially if he has an idea already of how he wants it set up. Is there a "can't go wrong with"-option here: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kits/

I like the idea of the keg kit for the keezer, but there are so many options from the birdman brewing website alone that I wouldn't want to get the wrong thing, especially if he has an idea already of how he wants it set up. Is there a "can't go wrong with"-option here: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kits/

Yep, there's a can't-go-wrong option - I'd go with the one-keg homebrew system:

http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-standard-homebrew/

There are two types of kegging systems: ball lock and pin lock. They're generally equivalent, and they're even easily made compatible with a $15 converter. I'd go with the ball lock, as the disconnects are nicer and it's easier to vent gas from the keg.

The beauty of getting him a kegging system is... even if he's got plans for a different system, he can just build off the stuff you got him and buy less stuff on his own.

(I should mention that I have no affiliation with Birdman, I just like their prices and the vendor's always super polite on these forums.)

Edit: The only thing I should add is... don't shell out for a new CO2 tank. 95% of CO2 sellers just exchange tanks, which means you'll be paying top dollar to buy some stranger a new tank. Scope out the local CO2 situation (beverage stores, homebrew stores, paintball stores) before you leap, and get a used tank if possible.

Thanks, Trail!

Couple questions... with the standard homebrew kit they have an option to upgrade to taprite regulator for $15. What is that and is it worth it? Also, they have the general kit for $55 and $58 more to add a used ball-lock keg. Is that a good price for a used 5 gallon keg or am I better off getting the keg from somewhere else?

It's a very decent price for a used ball-lock keg, especially given that the shipping is rolled in with the entire set, which will save money.

The difference between a Taprite regulator and the no-name regulator is that the no-name has a screw you have to turn in order to change the pressure. In contrast, the Taprite has a knob and it's generally considered the premium product.

IMO, go for the taprite and the keg but no CO2 tank.

It would also likely cause him to buy things he otherwise wouldn't buy.

Is this a bad thing?

I think thats the best thing about a gift card. There are so many things that can aid in the brewing process that are not absolutely necessary, but make a brew day much easier, which will help motivate future brew sessions. Getting these items for "free" is nice. I wish I received more gift cards.

I definitely recommend two books, "Brewing classic styles" and "Yeast, the practical guide to beer fermentation". Both of these changed the way I brew.

Kegging was also a huge turning point in my brewing. There was a point where I quit brewing for a while due to the dread of having to bottle the beer after I brewed it. That being said, I think picking out any particular kegging gift is risky unless he has specifically listed some things that he had made up his mind on. There are just too many setups and options and our recommendations are based on our unique experiences.

My vote goes to gift card + books. If you want to make it more personal, go with him to the brew store and help him pick stuff out.

Edit: Craigslist is also a great place to save money on kegging equipment, just make sure the c02 tanks are not expired and kegs hold pressure. Not really gift advice, just useful information.

If you decide to spring for a kegging setup or part of one here is some information to keep in mind. Most new keggers have trouble with foamy pours at first. The easiest solution to this is to go with 10-12 foot long beer out lines (hoses) over the 4-5 foot that usually come with these kits. Basically the longer lines slow down the beer flow so that it doesn't knock all of the CO2 out of solution and fill the glass with foam.

I find it great that you understand his passion and are giving him something that shows your support. I am sure that anything you get him will be appreciated. I do hope he returns the favor for you.

Can you tell me what you get from these subscriptions that you can't get from the free forums or from just searching online?

byo.com for the Brew Your Own magazine and http://www.homebrewersassociation.org for the American Homebrewers Association. They're both good investments especially the homebrewers association because your membership gets you discounts at brewpubs, some of the discounts are really good!! Both are pretty cheap too.

Hi BrewersgF, we just stumbled upon this thread. You could do a GC here if you want him to pick out his own kegging kit: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/giftcertificates.php

I read through this very quickly, so forgive me if I missed this, but does he have a fermentation fridge/freezer to control his fermentation temps? I know you said he's planning to build himself a keezer, but if he doesn't have a way to properly control fermentation temps then this will be HUGE for him. Controlling ferm. temps will result in massive improvements to the quality of his beer.

It's worth looking into, at least in my opinion. Again, if this was already covered, disregard.

Good luck and nice work on being an awesome girlfriend.

Back