Melted my 2 gallon cooler mashtun today.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoesInBoston

Reaction score
Planned on making an Amber Vienna Ale today.

Dough in 4lbs of Vienna malt.

I put my 2 gallon mashtun in the oven to keep it warm (without the oven on, of course) and reduce heat loss.

SWMBO forgets that she sees me do this, and then preheats the oven to 350 for some cookies she's making for Christmas.

Luckily, I caught it just in time to avoid a total melt down. But I do need a new 2 gallon cooler and a new oven rack as the two are now fused together.

The inside of the cooler was still sitting around 152 degrees though. BREW DAY WILL GO ON!

JoesInBoston said:
Planned on making an Amber Vienna Ale today.

Dough in 4lbs of Vienna malt.

I put my 2 gallon mashtun in the oven to keep it warm (without the oven on, of course) and reduce heat loss.

SWMBO forgets that she sees me do this, and then preheats the oven to 350 for some cookies she's making for Christmas.

Luckily, I caught it just in time to avoid a total melt down. But I do need a new 2 gallon cooler and a new oven rack as the two are now fused together.

The inside of the cooler was still sitting around 152 degrees though. BREW DAY WILL GO ON!

Sounds like your ol' lady owes you a present...and then some! What doesn't kill beer only makes it stronger!

worthless.gif

Atleast she didnt ruin the mash.

I think you can salvage the rack. Use a razor blade to scrap off as much plastic as you can then put it through a self cleaning cycle.

I think you can salvage the rack. Use a razor blade to scrap off as much plastic as you can then put it through a self cleaning cycle.

I think you are right about the rack. I took off as much plastic as I could with a sharp blade. I am going to take a small torch to the leftover plastic while outside before putting it back into the oven, though.

Sure, that could work. But I would NOT want to be in that house during that cleaning! (It's bad enough normally, with just food stuff) Nothing like burning plastic aroma wafting through the house.

Personally I wouldn't do it. Not worth all the toxins you'd be creating while doing it.

Cool, a Salvador Dali mash tun.

I wouldn't take a torch to the leftover plastic, you might get the oven rack a little too hot and crack the welds between the wires.

Back