Double Decoction in Brew Target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonsbeer

Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding how to create a decoction mash schedule in Brew Target. I start to put it together, but the numbers leave the realm of reality very fast. I'm sure this is user error.

Does any one have some pointers?

Came up with this. Seems confusing, but I know what each step means. I just need a reminder of what to do on brew day.

mash-56931.jpg

Sorry, I'm resurrecting this, but it seems entirely unreasonable that nobody yet has figured out how to do decoctions with the mash designer.

Just a simple example would be very appreciated.

Ok. I played with this a little bit and I think I get what's going on.

A decoction step assumes you are drawing some amount of the thick wort off, bringing it to a boil and adding it back to the mash to reach a specific temperature. In this case, the "Amount" column is telling you how much wort to draw off.

A temperature step is assuming a direct fired mash tun and is there so you remember to fire the mash to a specific temperature.

An infusion step assumes you are adding some volume of water to the mash to raise it from temp A to temp B.

Your first step, the acid rest, is an infusion step. Beyond that, I am really not sure what you are trying to achieve or what equipment you have. If you are really wanting to do a decoction mash with the volumes shown, you need to draw 4.75 gallons of wort off, bring it to a boil and add it back to the mash tun. If you do not have 4.75 gallons of wort to draw off, you may want to consider raising the temp from 97F -> 133F with another infusion step, and then doing a decoction mash to raise it from 133F -> 155F.

Most of this is a guess, because I don't know your batch size, what amount of grains you are starting with, etc. If I haven't helped, open a bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/brewtarget and attach the beerXML for your recipe. I will take a look and try to explain better.

Back