Corking Belgian Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollingsworth

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently decided to buy a cheap hand corker and corks to bottle in cleaned DuPont and Hennepin bottles. I quickly learned the hand corker was a bad idea and too cheap to get the job done. Here are my questions:

-Any recommendations on floor corkers? Do I need specific ones for belgian corks/bottles?

-Also what size cork should I be using with Belgian bottles? (these are what I got http://morebeer.com/view_product/6632/102304/Belgian_Corks_25) Will these work with all floor corkers? Will they mushroom in shape like the commercial bottle corks?

Thanks

Those corks should be good. They will mushroom...all corks that look mushroomed were original straight-sided.

I've never used a floor corker to cork belgians, so I can't really comment. If it were me, I'd probably pick up the much cheaper Portuguese Floor Corker ($60 usually I think) than the Italian Floor Corker. I have the Colonna Capper/Corker and can't really recommend it. The capping bell dents all the crowns (so I won't use it as a capper) and the corking is pretty annoying (the bottle jams and you really have to wiggle it to get it out...or insert a second cork to pop the bottle off).

Back