Flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAYSBREW

Reaction score
Have an American ale (extract) primary fermented fine, I had it in a secondary for a little over a month , bottled for 1 day shy of 2 weeks and it's flat.!.!?!?? What did I do wrong?

Have an American ale (extract) primary fermented fine, I had it in a secondary for a little over a month , bottled for 1 day shy of 2 weeks and it's flat.!.!?!?? What did I do wrong?

Just a guess but did you add the priming sugar?

Been there and forgot that I have

Assuming you added the priming sugar . . .

Leave it be. Sometimes it takes more than two weeks. If you can, let the bottles condition in a warmish, 70F + temp place.

Priming yes, thanks for asking, the closets relative temp is about 64 deg ish, I'll try the warm place and just leave them be. Thanks!

I have two questions that have to do with the flat beer questions so I'll piggy back as to save yet another thread.

1. I made an IPA and bottled nearly a month ago still flat. I'm really at a loss for what could be wrong considering it is at room temp.

2. If I ferment at 62 - 65 F (as recommended by the packaging) should I carbonate at that temperature?

What is your room temp? Carbonation "normally" takes about 3 weeks at 70F. That can change quite a bit depending on the actual temp, the health of your yeast, the amt of priming sugar, the SG/FG of your beer, etc.
Don't do anything drastic. If you primed and didn't kill off all your yeast (pretty hard to do) the beer will carbonate eventually. If you MUSt do something, take each bottle and gently turn it over once or twice to get the yeast off of the bottom. Then put them back into a warm (70F or higher) and leave them alone for another 2 weeks.

broth223 said:
I have two questions that have to do with the flat beer questions so I'll piggy back as to save yet another thread.

1. I made an IPA and bottled nearly a month ago still flat. I'm really at a loss for what could be wrong considering it is at room temp.

2. If I ferment at 62 - 65 F (as recommended by the packaging) should I carbonate at that temperature?

As suggested above, it will take your beer longer to bottle carbonate at those temps. It will eventually happen, but the yeast will be happier, harder workers at 70F.

The room is set to 71 but it does get cold under the bed I'll move it to the shelf and wait two weeks. Thanks gentlemen!

it is getting there after placed in a warmer room but still not there. im must say it still tastes good though! will it ever get there ?

Back