Drinking from a Bottle or Plastic Cup? (No Glass Available)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drink from bottle or plastic cup? (Public Poll)

• Bottle

• Plastic Cup

• Don't Drink

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Heading out on a camping trip for a couple weeks. Italy > Switzerland > Black Forest. Gonna go to the Heineken music festival in Venice, Italy. Not really into the bands, but my wife is. Smashing Pumpkins (should be interesting), The Killers, Arrowsmith, among others.

Here's my concern. We are going to be living out of our car and a tent. I'm taking a bunch of beer and a cooler that I will periodically fill with ice. I don't want to take a beer glass because I love them too much and don't want it to break. So, it's either from the bottle or from a paper/plastic cup. Which is the lesser of two evils?

I'd just buy a few cheap molded poly/plastic cups (not the disposable party solo cups, the rigid ones that you'd use for water/juice glasses in your kitchen).

Plastic cup; gotta decant off the yeast at the bottom. I've drunk plenty of homebrew out of plastic Solo cups, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Plastic cups. drinking from the bottle won't allow the beer to aerate a little in the pouring, releasing some of the aromatics. if you are getting some good Belgian beer, smelling it is half the fun.

I usually have plenty of plastic Solo cups for homebrew when I travel, so that's how I voted. But I like Evan's idea a lot.

just buy cans! haha i prefer natural light or Pabst Blue Ribbon!:mug:

im not a big fan of drinking home brews out of the bottle, and drinking them out of plastic cups reminds me of keg parties! haha

Just go snag a couple cheapo pints from the local bar. Just walk in and ask to speak to the head manager/bar owner. Ask them if you can buy a couple new glasses off of em. Bar owners won't care as long as you pay what they pay and you sit down and buy a couple beers from their place.

This way you get their discount prices, you get new glasses to use that your not attached to, and you'll end up with some sweet ass souvenirs (with great stories attached to em) if you can keep them from getting lost/broken.

What if they break/dissapear? Then your just back in the plastic cup scenario your thinking about doing anyway! With some good drinking before hand to boot!

Us Aussies are nutorions for drinking beer out of the bottle... We're terrible like that.

goatfish said:
why not buy a cheap pint glass to take with you?
Cheaper to just take one from your local pub... Another thing us Aussies do well..

I'd say plastic cup is the way to go in this case. I try to buy clear plastic so that I can see the color of the beer as well.

whenever i bring homebrew (bottles or kegs) to parties, i always bring a special plastic cup i bought specifically for it. i've bought a few now...i have a tumbler and a couple different pint glasses. nice plastic ones...screw disposable. my tumbler is green, but still clear enough to check out the beer.

Dude, can't believe I forgot Nader as an option. My bad you'll. Horrible noob mistake.

I'm gonna go with plastic cups then, I'm setting off in the morning and I've already started drinking so can't run to the local pub for glasses. I doubt they'd sell anyway. The owners of my local bars are ********. I don't go to them. They are setup for soldiers so lots of rap music, red bull/vodka and budweiser.

You can get cheap polycarbonate beer glasses at walmart etc. They come in semi clear colors and clear, for camping. They are shaped like those martini mixer glasses most bars use as under sized pints. They don't foam the beer very much. I've even seen them in dollar stores.

I use them for drinking while working on crap in the yard/garage, and camping, so when I knock one over I don't hear that crash sound.

I gotta agree with some previous posters about just bringing a glass with you. It seems like most dollar stores I've been in have had pint glasses. I actually found a couple John Deere pint glasses recently! (If John Beere lived in Washington, I'd have tipped him off)

If you lose it, it breaks, or whatever, you're out $1.

Failing that, I'd say it's worth it to bring plastic cups, but I don't like the solo "keg cup" style cups. They always smell plasticky to me, which kind of defeats part of the purpose of using a glass in the first place.

Anyway, I hope you have a great trip; it sounds like a lot of fun!

:tank:

Back