Sulfur smell...even after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdeezy

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd or 4th batch after taking a few years off. My first two went off without a hitch, but these last two have been throwing out some pretty nasty sulfur smells. At first I didn't worry and just assumed it was part of the fermentation process, but now I cracked open a bottle after 3 weeks and the smell is still there.

This was Ed's Haus, and my fermentation temps were pretty damn good (as close to 68 as possible). The sulfur smells really didnt start until day 10 or so. The only thing I can think of is that there might have been some lag time between when the yeast started to slow down, and that I was still keeping lots of frozen bottles around. So maybe the temp got down close to 60 which caused the yeast to get stressed?

I also use spring water (ozarka), S-05, no yeast nutrients.

I realize that all I can do for this batch is keep them out of the fridge for another week, and just slowing start putting them in the fridge a few at a time and see where it goes. However, I was wondering if anyone had anyone had any insight on how to keep this from happening?

The only real difference i can think of is that the first two were a little bit bigger beers (around 1.070, and these last two have been pretty small - Ed's Haus, and BM's Blonde).

A sulphur smell is fairly common in the fermentation process, but usually dissipates fairly quickly. But it won't be able to do that in a bottle. How long did you wait before bottling? Do you know if the sulphur smell was there when you bottled?

It was in the fermenter for 3 weeks before I bottled. I really didn't notice it when I was bottling. I did notice it when I opened the fermenter a few days before to check the gravity.

Should I open up the primary right now on my current batch, and let it air out a little? Since all of the bubbling has stopped that sulfury smell is just sitting on top of the beer.

I know that it usually dissipates quickly, but in my case, the smell is coming in after most of the fermentation is complete, so there isn't much CO2 movement to carry the smell off of the beer.

i've never detected sulfur with S-05 and it seems odd that the smell develops after fermentation is complete. might be some other issue? i'll stay tuned.

I had a similar issue that I posted in another thread. I also have a sulfur smell that persists after the initial phases of fermentation (still there after nearly 3 weeks in primary). More experienced users have suggested that it's normal and will dissipate after a longer conditioning period.

Ya Im sure it will pass after letting it condition longer, but I would like to keep it from making it in to my beer to being with.

Hm. Well, I'd definitely give the current batch some time in the bottle. I expect the aroma will settle down eventually. The most obvious thing to do going forward is to use a different yeast strain, or maybe make starters. You could also warm the beer near the end of fermentation to help the yeast along with cleanup, and to promote offgassing. Even moving it to a warm place after fermentation subsides will scare out some CO2, and that may take the sulphur with it. Past that, just wait longer before bottling. It won't hurt anything.

Generally, in my experience, sulphur forms when there's a cold fermentation temperature. Lots of lagers throw out sulphur during fermentation. So yeah, if the temp dropped near the end of fermentation that could do it. You could try taking the fermenter out of the swamp cooler when activity slows; the higher temps near the end won't change the flavor much.

If you have kegging capability (I assume you don't if you're bottling), you could carbonate and purge a few times to scare it out.

OK, I assumed that colder would be better than being too warm (and I still think that is correct), but I guess I need to be more careful about it being too cold.

I'm going to try and air the one in the fermenter out a little bit, and probably dry hop with some cascade to try and mask the smell.

Yes, that is correct. But in some cases sulphur aromas are created at colder temperatures. It's not usually a huge issue, as it generally disperses with a little time, whereas the off-flavors of a hot fermentation don't - or do, but very slowly.

I used safale us-05 for a Graff beer (hard cider/beer mixture sorta) and smelled good all the way up to after I put it into the keg (3 weeks after start of batch). It has a slight taste and smell of sulfur. Not a lot but definitely there and detracts from the cider for sure.... Hoping it will go away but not quite sure... I know ciders you usually have to age longer than beers but this one is suppose to be drinkable and pretty good after 2 weeks of being in a keg/bottles.... Not the case with mine. Hopefully it will mellow in a few more weeks!
But that is the only brew I have had the sulfur smell from us 05 so far and I've brewed a few batches with it so far. Keep us updated

This thread cools my nerves a bit. Just got done brewing two batches on the first two days of owning the equipment. Both processes seemed spot on and the yeast seemed to be doing it's job.. everything was great.. but I just checked my Hefewiezen for the first time since this morning and noticed a pungent sulfur stench coming out of it. I'm crossing my fingers that it will dissipate soon because I'm planning on drinking this by christmas.

Not only does my Hefeweizen smell like sulphur, but the krausen stuck to the top of the carboy is green. Is that just from hops or is there something I should be worried about?

Well the Haus Ale has been in the bottles for about 4 weeks now, and they still sort of taste/smell of sulfur. It is becoming very faint now, and no one has been able to detect it until I ask them about it (maybe I should stop telling people about it).

As for the Centennial Blonde that was showing signs of having the same problem, I dry hopped it last night with and ounce of Centennial, and will let it ride for an extra week in the primary before I bottle. Hopefully that combo will get rid of and/or mask the smell.

I have decided that I probably let the temperature drop too far after the furious part of fermentation was complete, and that stress on the yeast is what caused the sulfur smell. I have moved the bucket to a warmer place in my apartment in hopes that they can clean up the mess I made.

I'll probably rebrew this soon and take better care of my temps so I can be sure that this was the cause. I'll keep you guys posted.

Any updates? I'm interested in seeing how your solution worked out. I'm battling similar issues. I am trying to make the perfect hefe, and in my quest I am either fermenting too hot or ending up with too much sulphur. This last batch I fermented in the swamp cooler at about 60-61. Other than the sulphur/shrimpy flavor it might be perfect. Nice amount of spiciness. Clean pleasant finish. I just got a kegging set-up so I might try carbonating and purging. Any tips on how to properly to this?

Well I don't keg so I can't help you there, but I can attest to time healing the issue. I think purging in the keg would definitely help. I'd have to look and see when I bottled the blonde, but it is totally free of the sulfur smell and taste now.

What yeast did you use? Chances are 60 is too cold for it. I guess everyone's outcome can be different, but if I let my S-05 get down around 60 it can start throwing out some funk.

I also think there is something to be said about temperature swings being a factor as well. When the blonde was fermenting it was really making some heat, so I used some extra frozen bottles before I went to work. It must have stopped being so active shortly after I left because the temp fell from 70 to 62 quickly. It was also in the low 60s for a while. I guess what I'm saying is 62 or 70 probably isn't too bad, but the quick drop mid-fermentation probably stressed the yeast out.

So, of course trying to keep your temps as constant as possible should help keep the sulfur away to begin with. Keep the temps above 64. If it does come though, leave it in the primary for an extra week (I opened the lid before the extra week to let that sulfur air out so it wouldn't be sitting on the beer). Also, dry hop during that extra week if your style and hop supply allows. It will help mask the smell and the perceived taste of the sulfur.

Back