DME Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was making Orfy's most excellent hob goblin clone, but I messed up the grain amounts and wound up with a ridiculously low OG.

Liking malty beers, I decided to add 2 lbs of Laaglander Dark DME to bring the OG to a more respectable 1.044. It's now been in secondary for about 5 days and I took out a sample, tasted it, and it was freakin awesome!!! I compared it, side by side, with a Hob Goblin and my version is waayyyy more intense. Fantastic flavor!!!

So now the dilemma. How do I clone the Laaglander Dark DME in case I want to brew an AG version next time?

Er... buy some more of it?

Seriously, I think it's a mistake to think that the only way to make good beer is AG. I suppose there are several reasons for homebrewers to want to make AG beer. If it tastes good with some extract in it, though, go with it. Enjoy it.

I have to agree, the the partial worked, make it again. I've been doing AG for five years, but still do extract & mini-mash. It's about making good beer, not sticking your nose so high in the air you'll drowned in the rain.

One of the things that I think is awesome about brewing is how it gets you in touch with human history. Even though we use turkey fryers rather than coal or pitch fires and even though we're making carbonated beer rather than wine or mead, it's still, at its heart a very simple process that somehow, I guess this is going to sound silly but, somehow it makes me feel as though I am involved in some great ritual of human existence- something that has been going on for millennia. And I think that's awesome.

My problem with using DME is... what if the world ends tomorrow? What if I'm the only person left? How will I get DME? The answer is that I can't. I'll have to malt my own grains and I sure as hell ain't going to be worried about making DME.

I know it's a silly request. I know there's nothing wrong with Partial Mashing. Heck, I don't ever intend to stop using LME/DME to tweak my beers a little, depending on how the mashing goes. I'm not shy about that, but my goal is to work the recipe back to sort of an "All Grain" formulation, to cut back on the DME and add in more fermentables...

Or... was "stop being an EAC" all-your-all's way of saying that you really haven't got any clue how to go about it? :p

Laaglander Dark DME is the most unfermentable Dme out there. So to replicate it, I advise the following:

1. Add some Med-Dark Crystal (Maybe 10-15%)
2. Mash high (156-160)

Those should help you mimmic the Laaglander OK. If you just want to buy some more, maybe hit up Northern brewer. They are pulling it and selling their inventory at 20% off.
http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=Laaglander&x=0&y=0

chillHayze said:
Laaglander Dark DME is the most unfermentable Dme out there. So to replicate it, I advise the following:

1. Add some Med-Dark Crystal (Maybe 10-15%)
2. Mash high (156-160)

Those should help you mimmic the Laaglander OK. If you just want to buy some more, maybe hit up Northern brewer. They are pulling it and selling their inventory at 20% off.
http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=Laaglander&x=0&y=0

Thanks for the link and the heads up!

See? That right there is why I don't want to rely on Partial Mashing with a brand-name of LME/DME. I'm trying to make recipes here- replicable tastes that are worth having and keeping, and maybe sharing with others. It's kind of pointless doing that if your recipes are hung up on the whims of a company that makes a particular product such as a DME which is uncommonly unfermentable. Today NB is ceasing to carry them. 5 years from now, who knows if the product will even exist...

Again, thanks for the link... I think I might just buy some more.... :mug:

Toot said:
My problem with using DME is... what if the world ends tomorrow? What if I'm the only person left? How will I get DME? The answer is that I can't. I'll have to malt my own grains and I sure as hell ain't going to be worried about making DME.

Sounds like a bad acid trip!

Back