Accidental ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
So, I was going to make an American Pale Ale. Brewing buddy wanted floral and a bit of sweetness. So I did 11lb 2-Row and 1lb Crystal Malt. Decent amount of Cascade and Centennial, including some dry-hopping.

In the end, the beer had too strong of a caramel flavor from the Crystal malt. Great hops profile, AMAZING floral nose (lemon and pine), but not an APA. Alas!

Then I looked at different styles, as this beer tasted WAY too good not to turn into competitions coming up. Seems though that an ESB is exactly what I made; correct IBU, OG/FG level, and flavor. Perhaps a little strong on the hops, but still in style.

So, accidental ESB! Hopefully I win something with this!

Awesome! Does it need English hops to be considered an ESB?

According to the BJCP guidelines, apparently not. Usually has UK hops, but not required. So I am golden!

"English hops most typical, although American and European varieties are becoming more common (particularly in the paler examples)."

Sounds more like an American amber than an ESB to me. American ambers can be highly hopped, with plenty of hops flavor and aroma. ESBs are more bitter, and lighter on the flavor and aroma hops.

Here's ESB: An average-strength to moderately-strong English ale.The balance may be fairly even between malt &hops to somewhat bitter.Drinkability is a critical component of the style; emphasis is still on the bittering hop addition as opposed to the aggressive middle and late hopping seen in American ales.
Profile: More evident malt and hop flavors than in a special or best bitter.Stronger versions may overlap somewhat with old ales, although strong bitters will tend to be paler and more bitter. most strong bitters are fruitier and hoppier than Fullers.Some modern English variants are brewed exclusively with pale malt and are known as golden or summer bitters.
Ingredients: Pale ale, amber,&/or crystal malts, may use black malt for color adj. May use sugar adjuncts, corn/wheat. Eng. hops typ. but USA &Euro var. are becoming common (esp.in paler examples).Characterful Eng. yeast.Burton versions use med to high sulfate water.

And American amber: Description: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.html#1bLike an American pale ale with more body, more caramel richness, and a balance more towards malt than hops (although hop rates can be significant). Known simply as Red Ales in some regions, these beers were popularized in the hop-loving Northern California and the Pacific Northwest areas before spreading nationwide.
Profile: Can overlap in color with Am pale ales. However, Am amber ales differ from Am pale ales not only by being usually darker in color, but also by having more caramel flavor, more body, & usually being balanced more evenly between malt and bitterness. Should not have a strong chocolate or roast character that might suggest an American brown ale (although small amounts OK
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, typ Am two-row. Medium to dark crystal malts. May contain specialty grains which add character and uniqueness. Am hops, often w citrusy flavors, are common but others may also be used. Water can vary in sulfate & carbonate content.

Hmmm. Thanks for the notes Yooper!

I might just enter it in both categories and see which the judges put it in. Probably an American Amber, I just didn't think it could be strong on the hops.

Sounds more like an American amber than an ESB to me.

+1

With the cascade and centennial I don't think of an ESB. But what the heck, enter in both and see what happens. Glad to hear the beer came out good. It makes brewing that much better when made yourself a good one! Good luck.

+1

With the cascade and centennial I don't think of an ESB. But what the heck, enter in both and see what happens. Glad to hear the beer came out good. It makes brewing that much better when made yourself a good one! Good luck.

Yup yup. That is the plan. Again, I didn't think an American Amber could have strong hops, but I haven't had much exposure to the style to be honest. I am an IPA and Belgian type of guy.

If anything good comes of this via competitions I will be certain to post up here about it!

American ambers can have signficant west-coast hopping rates and still be in style. An ESB has a nice firm bittering, but very little flavor/aroma hops in comparison to an American amber (also known as American red).

Back