Rubbermaid container warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a medium to large sized container at Home Depot as a clearance item with the intention to use it for label removal. Well it worked fine form my first week or so that I had it full of oxyclean. However sometime yesterday after just a few days of being loaded up a hair line crack developed in one of the bottom most corners. Left me with a nice little puddle around it.

Just figured I'd let you guys know in case you had your eyes on them for storing heavy stuff in them. They're not the most sturdy when having side pressures on the walls.

Not doubting your experience, but...

I've had a very large one full of saltwater (sump under my tank) for at least 10 years. Maybe longer. It's in the dark.

I think these tubs are greatly affected by strong light (UV, especially, which includes sunlight). Probably by higher temps, too. Some in my garage have gotten brittle.

Maybe it was defective to begin with. I've filled and left mine full Fr weeks at a time.

And also know others that use them for salt water.

I've had mine full of oxyclean, water and tons of bottles for weeks on occasion with no issues either. There probably was existing cracks in it to begin with. When I bought mine to use, I went through everyone at the store, and rejected a bunch of them that had cracks on the bottom corners or any other stress damage from being bang around the warehouse and the store. I've seen stores dumping a stack of them off a cart and man handling them onto shelves, so you just have to pick through them ahead of time.

Same thing with homer buckets at HD, or bucket fermenters atr the lhbs, whenever I am buying them, I go through all of the stack to pick the undamaged one.

I'll go check them out again it was only like $4 and throughly inspect like mentioned. This one is now just a storage box no more liquids. I suspect the best way to inspect these bins would be to hold them up to the light and check the corners.

Latest posts

Back