My Red Ale is STRONG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Just moved my first batch in 15 years, a red ale, to secondary in a Better Bottle, after two weeks in the primary. Pulled a cup out of the bucket to taste.

I was kind of afraid the fermentation hadn't gone right, the bubbling stopped after about a day and half. Was I wrong!

There isn't a trace of sweetness left. It needs to mellow, but the strong alcohol beer taste is definitely there. I got a little tiny buzz from that chugging cup (I added some extra sugar to bump up the ABV). Since my hydrometer hasn't come in yet, I will guess and say around 6.5 to 7%.

A couple or three more weeks and it should be ready for the keg.

:ban:

Thanks, good to be back.

Busy weekend. I moved the red ale to secondary, and brewed a cherry wheat to takes it's place in the primary. That sucker is already thumping away, I think I like smack packs.

I also got most of the work done on my kegerator, which SWMBO has proclaimed will not fit upstairs into my office (though it will). It's LARGE full sized fridge, big enough for six kegs. It will have to stay in the garage, and I have to come up with something smaller.

Whew.

:rockin:

Back